Cutthroats Power Play Rolls in 4-2 Win
DENVER - The Denver Cutthroats power play unit score three times on Friday night and Kieran Millan turned aside 42 shots for a 4-2 win over the Bloomington Blaze in front of 3,560 at the Denver Coliseum.
The win was Denver's (22-17-5) first home game since December 29 and snapped a three-game winless skid as the Fish took the first of a two-game set this weekend against Bloomington (22-18-2). The Cutthroats are now 4-0-1 in their last five home games.
Troy Schwab, Chris Greene, and AJ Gale each tallied Denver's power play goals. Brad Smyth added an empty-net goal in the final minute for his 19th of the season.
The Cutthroats opened up a 2-0 lead in the first as Schwab deflected a shot by Brett Lutes at 4:56 for his 15th of the year. Chris Greene then buried a one-timer in the slot off Luke Fulghum's feed from the corner with 3:51 left in the frame.
Leo Thomas put the Blaze on the board in his first game for the club on a crossing pass from Steve Makway. Gale then made it a 3-1 lead for Denver snapping home a power play goal just under the crossbar from the bottom of the left circle. The goal was Gale's league-leading 27th of the season and keeps him one point back of Missouri's Sebastien Thinel for the overall scoring lead with 58 points.
Makway added a power play goal for the Blaze in the third before Smyth's empty-net tally.
The Cutthroats finished 3-for-6 on the power play while the Blaze went 1-for-5.
Pier-Olivier Pelletier took the loss for the Blaze, stopping 25 of 28 shots.
The Cutthroats and Blaze close out their weekend set on Saturday at Denver Coliseum. Puck drop is set for 7:05 PM MST.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2013
- Brahmas Fall to Rush in Shootout - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Six Unanswered Goals Lift Oilers Past Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- Cutthroats Power Play Rolls in 4-2 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Power Play Goals Fell Blaze in Denver - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Overcome by Oilers, 6-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Veterans Power Rush to Third Shootout Win of the Year - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Hand Americans Fifth Straigh Home Loss - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Win Three of Four Games Against Allen Americans - Arizona Sundogs
- Kip Brennan Dealt to Arizona - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Acquire Veteran Kip Brennan from Americans - Arizona Sundogs
- Quad City's Mickey Lang Named Easton/CHL Player of the Month - CHL
- Mallards' Lang Named Easton CHL Player of the Month - Quad City Mallards
- Arizona Sundogs Ladies Night February 21, 2013 - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavs Sign Defenseman Vichorek, Miller Reassigned to Missouri - Kansas City Mavericks
- CHL Suspends Allen's Garrett Clarke - CHL
- Jung Selected as Warrior Goaltender of the Month - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Torrie Jung Named Warrior/CHL Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Shots from the Point for February 1, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster