Brahmas Fall to Rush in Shootout
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, Texas - The Brahmas were defeated by the Rapid City Rush 3-2 in a shootout Friday night, ending the team's three-game win streak.
Scott Wray gave the Rush an early lead at 2:31 of the first period when he notched his 16th score of the season. Shawn Szydlowski evened the score at one goal apiece before the end of the first period off of a set-up from Sy Nutkevitch. For Szydlowski, the goal was his eighth of the season and fourth in his last four games.
At 3:07 of the second period, Riley Boychuk snatched the puck out of the air and fed Brendon Hodge open in the slot for the go-ahead goal. Friday night's tilt was Hodge's first game back since being activated from the 14-day injured reserve.
With 11:27 remaining in regulation, Jesse Schultz took a pass in the slot and beat Brahmas netminder Kristofer Westblom to score the equalizer and send the contest into overtime.
After a scoreless overtime period, Rapid City finished the game strong in the shootout. Jared Brown and Damian Surma each converted, and Danny Battochio denied all four Brahmas attempts. Brown was credited with the game-winning goal.
Kristofer Westblom (14-5-3) stopped 24 of 26 shots between the pipes for Fort Worth in a losing effort. The overtime loss snaps a six-game win streak for the rookie goaltender. Battochio made 16 saves on 18 shots in net for the Rush and earned his eighth victory of the season
The Brahmas are back in action at the NYTEX Sports Centre tomorrow night, Saturday, February 2 at 7:30pm to host the Arizona Sundogs.
For ticket information, please contact a Brahmas sales representative at 817-336-4423 or visit www.brahmas.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2013
- Brahmas Fall to Rush in Shootout - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Six Unanswered Goals Lift Oilers Past Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- Cutthroats Power Play Rolls in 4-2 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Power Play Goals Fell Blaze in Denver - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks Overcome by Oilers, 6-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Veterans Power Rush to Third Shootout Win of the Year - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Hand Americans Fifth Straigh Home Loss - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Win Three of Four Games Against Allen Americans - Arizona Sundogs
- Kip Brennan Dealt to Arizona - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Acquire Veteran Kip Brennan from Americans - Arizona Sundogs
- Quad City's Mickey Lang Named Easton/CHL Player of the Month - CHL
- Mallards' Lang Named Easton CHL Player of the Month - Quad City Mallards
- Arizona Sundogs Ladies Night February 21, 2013 - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavs Sign Defenseman Vichorek, Miller Reassigned to Missouri - Kansas City Mavericks
- CHL Suspends Allen's Garrett Clarke - CHL
- Jung Selected as Warrior Goaltender of the Month - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Torrie Jung Named Warrior/CHL Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Shots from the Point for February 1, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.