Cullen, Dean Named to SAL Annual All-Star Team
ROME, GA - Second baseman Greg Cullen and outfielder Justin Dean have been named to the 2019 South Atlantic League All-Star Team as announced by SAL President, Eric Krupa, earlier today. The All-Star Team was voted on by the 14 South Atlantic League Teams' Field Managers, General Managers, Sports Writers and Broadcasters for a total of 56 votes.
Cullen, 22, was also named as a SAL Mid-Season All-Star. The young infielder is hitting .271 with 23 doubles, six triples, nine home runs and 56 RBI in 125 games for the Single-A Braves. He's walked 70 times this season, second-most among South Atlantic League leaders. Cullen also ranks among league leaders in several other categories including third in runs scored (78), tied for third in triples (6), fourth in OBP (.397), seventh in hits (122), ninth in total bases (184) and OPS (.805). The New York native was originally selected by the Braves in the 15th round of the 2018 draft out of Niagara University.
Dean, 22, leads the South Atlantic League in stolen bases (45), triples (9) and runs scored (85). The outfielder is currently hitting .289 with 18 doubles, nine triples, nine home runs and 46 RBI on the season. He's walked 60 times in 106 games at Single-A Rome. Dean spent about a month on the Injured List, May 25 through June 20, but hasn't missed a beat since returning to the Braves lineup. He also ranks among SAL Leaders in several other categories. Dean sits fifth in OBP (.391), seventh in walks (60) and slugging percentage (.440), and eighth in batting average (.289) and total hits (121). Dean was selected by the Braves in the 17th round of the 2018 draft out of Lenoir-Rhyne University.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Rasquin's Late-Inning Heroics Propel Fireflies to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Roll Behind Six-Run Sixth to Topple Tourists - Charleston RiverDogs
- Schmidt's Return Soured in the Sixth - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds Get Mojo Back, Bash 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Big Fourth Inning Leads Intimidators to Victory over Hagerstown - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Greenville Squeaks Away with 4-3 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sixth, Seventh Innings Power Drive to Win over GreenJackets - Greenville Drive
- Birds Pitching Silences Claws 7-0 on Tuesday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Tuesday's Road Contest in Lexington Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Legends and Power Postponed - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 27 vs. Hickory (Game 130) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Seth Corry Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Year - Augusta GreenJackets
- Cullen, Dean Named to SAL Annual All-Star Team - Rome Braves
- Triston Casas Named South Atlantic League All-Star - Greenville Drive
- Honeyman Named to SAL Annual All-Star Team - West Virginia Power
- Bill on Baseball: Playoff Hopes Dim for Hoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Vavra Voted Most Valuable Player; MacIver Top Catcher - Asheville Tourists
- Four Shorebirds Named Postseason All-Stars - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Canaan Smith Named South Atlantic League Postseason All-Star - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rome Opens Series with 1-0 Shutout of Greensboro - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.