Fireflies Game Notes: August 27 vs. Hickory (Game 130)
Columbia Fireflies (27-36, 51-78) vs. Hickory Crawdads (38-24, 79-49)
RHP Alec Kisena (4-2, 3.61) vs. RHP Ricky Vanasco (0-0, 1.80)
Tues., August 27, 2019 - Segra Park (Columbia, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 130
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia opened up the series this week against Hickory with a 4-2 loss. Chase Chambers launched a two-run homer in the third but that proved to be the only bit of offense for the Fireflies.
ON A TEAR: Chambers is now 7-for-his-last-14 at the dish after collecting two more hits on Monday. The first baseman has hit safely in four straight and three of those games were multi-hit games. Chambers has raised his batting average 10 points in four days.
ON A TEAR, Pt. II: Chambers has also logged three straight two-RBI games and has driven in eight runs over his last six games. August has been Chambers' most prolific month in terms of driving in runs. He has 15 RBI in 24 games.
THE COUNTDOWN, 2019: Columbia has just three home games left in the 2019 season. In each edition of the game notes this week, we'll count down the top four moments at Segra Park this year:
3. Two-Out, 9th-Inning Rally & Walk Off vs. Hickory - April 18, 2019
Columbia bested the very same team it plays on Tuesday in dramatic fashion back on April 18. The Fireflies trailed 3-2 heading to the bottom of the ninth and Crawdads reliever Scott Engler retired the first two hitters of the inning. That's when the rally sparked. The next five Columbia batters all reached, including Bradley Marquez who singled home Chandler Avant to tie the score, and Walter Rasquin who drove a base hit up the middle and plated Anthony Dirocie to walk it off. That was the first of three (and counting) walk-off wins for the Fireflies this season.
AVANT, TOO: Chandler Avant walked against Hickory on Monday. Avant has reached safely in eight straight games. Columbia's versatile utility man also owns the longest on-base streak for any Firefly this season: 16 straight from May 30-June 28.
EARNING HIS SPOT: Nick Conti will hit leadoff again on Tuesday for the seventh straight game. He's personally hit leadoff in his last eight games. Conti has notched a hit in four of his last five games.
FUN FACT: Right-hander Alec Kisena starts on Tuesday for the Fireflies for the first time since May 13. Kisena has pitched very well in long relief of late. His August numbers: 2-0 (4 GP), 2.95, 18.1 IP, 17 K.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Rasquin's Late-Inning Heroics Propel Fireflies to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Roll Behind Six-Run Sixth to Topple Tourists - Charleston RiverDogs
- Schmidt's Return Soured in the Sixth - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds Get Mojo Back, Bash 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Big Fourth Inning Leads Intimidators to Victory over Hagerstown - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Greenville Squeaks Away with 4-3 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sixth, Seventh Innings Power Drive to Win over GreenJackets - Greenville Drive
- Birds Pitching Silences Claws 7-0 on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tuesday's Road Contest in Lexington Postponed - West Virginia Power
- Legends and Power Postponed - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 27 vs. Hickory (Game 130) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Seth Corry Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Year - Augusta GreenJackets
- Cullen, Dean Named to SAL Annual All-Star Team - Rome Braves
- Triston Casas Named South Atlantic League All-Star - Greenville Drive
- Honeyman Named to SAL Annual All-Star Team - West Virginia Power
- Bill on Baseball: Playoff Hopes Dim for Hoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Vavra Voted Most Valuable Player; MacIver Top Catcher - Asheville Tourists
- Four Shorebirds Named Postseason All-Stars - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Canaan Smith Named South Atlantic League Postseason All-Star - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rome Opens Series with 1-0 Shutout of Greensboro - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta
- Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136)
- Fireflies Show Their Courage, Fight to the Finish in Competitive Tilt
- Fireflies Game Notes: September 1 at Augusta (Game 135)