Crunch Topped by Rocket, 3-2, in Game 5
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch were topped by the Laval Rocket, 3-2, in overtime in Game 5 tonight at the Upstate Medical University Arena.
The loss eliminates the Crunch from the postseason as Laval takes the best-of-five series, 3-2.
Goaltender Max Lagace turned aside 33-of-36 shots in net for the Crunch. Cayden Primeau stopped 32-of-34 between the pipes for the Rocket. Syracuse was unable to convert on one power play opportunity, while Laval went 1-for-2.
The Crunch opened scoring with a shorthanded goal at the 15:31 mark of the first period. Anthony Richard picked off a pass near the blue line, skated down the ice and beat Primeau with a backhander.
Syracuse doubled their lead at the 7:16 mark of the middle frame. After Alex Barre-Boulet threw the puck towards the net, Primeau poked it away, but the puck rebounded off Ryan Jones and into the net.
The Rocket stole one back with a power-play goal four minutes later when Alex Belzile tipped Louie Belpedio's right-point shot.
With just 38 seconds remaining in the game, Cédric Paquette potted the equalizer and forced overtime. Gabriel Bourque then sent home the game-winner at the 10:13 mark of the extra frame to give Laval the series win.
Single game tickets and ticket packages for the 2022 Calder Cup Playoffs are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the Upstate Medical University Arena at Onondaga County War Memorial at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch).
Crunchables: Anthony Richard had goals in back-to-back games and led the team in the postseason with four.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 17, 2022
- Comets Double-Up Amerks to Force Decisive Game 5 - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Topped by Rocket, 3-2, in Game 5 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Force Deciding Game 5 with Win over Americans - Utica Comets
- The Best Inaugural Season Moments: Diwali Night - Abbotsford Canucks
- Real Seafood Company Dinner to Benefit Griffins Youth Foundation - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Sign Brooklyn Kalmikov for 2022-23 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Tuesday, May 17 vs. Utica: North Division Semifinals - Game 4 - Rochester Americans
- Comets Russo Suspended One Game - Utica Comets
- Comets' Russo Suspended for One Game - AHL
- Checkers Eliminate Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Ryan Jones to AHL Contract
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Tyson Feist to AHL Contract
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward Gabriel Dumont to Two-Year AHL Contract
- Crunch Topped by Rocket, 3-2, in Game 5
- Crunch Shutout Rocket, 3-0, in Game 4 to Extend Series