Crew signs goalkeeper Kenny Schoeni
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Columbus Crew announced today that it has signed goalkeeper Kenny Schoeni. Per club and league policy, no further terms of the deal were disclosed.
A Cincinnati native, Schoeni (pronounced shay-KNEE), served as the Crew's third-string goalkeeper during its 2008 championship season. He did not appear in a regular-season match during his lone season in Columbus and was waived on April 2 of this year. The 25-year-old then signed with Miami FC of USL-1, where he compiled a 1-4-2 record in seven appearances this season, with one shutout and a 1.57 goals-against-average.
Schoeni made five appearances, four of them starts, with a 0.80 goals-against average and two shutouts for the Black & Gold in the 2008 MLS Reserve Division. He spent the majority of the 2007 season serving as the MLS pool goalkeeper providing relief for teams with emergency goalkeeper needs. He spent several stints training with the Crew in 2007 and also started two games in goal for the Crew Reserve squad, in which he posted a 1-1-0 record. Schoeni was named the 2006 Big West Conference co-Goalkeeper of the Year at the conclusion of his lone season at UC Irvine. That followed a three-year career at Vanderbilt that was curtailed when the Commodores' program was discontinued.
Founded by American sports pioneer Lamar Hunt, the Columbus Crew is Ohio's Major League Soccer club, anchoring a diverse sports and entertainment enterprise. One of the league's Charter Members, it is the reigning MLS Cup Champion and has also won the 2002 U.S. Open Cup championship and MLS Supporters' Shield titles in 2004 and 2008. It is currently in its 14th season overall and 11th season in first-of-its-kind Columbus Crew Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 18, 2009
- Sounders FC host Chivas USA Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution Tie Red Bulls, 1-1 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Claw Back To Earn 1-1 Tie Against Revolution - New York Red Bulls
- Wizards Host FC Dallas Saturday at CommunityAmerica Ballpark - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC Players to Appear with Open Cup Trophy on Sunday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Dynamo face RSL on Saturday in first home game since August 23 - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA launch ChivaClásico festivities with third annual Charity Golf Tournament on Monday - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo-Galaxy single-game tickets go on sale to general public - Houston Dynamo
- Crew signs goalkeeper Kenny Schoeni - Columbus Crew SC
- 2010 Red Bulls Full Season Plans To Go On Sale To General Public October 15 - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts FC Dallas at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Defender Alex Crognale on Loan
- Columbus Crew SC's Waylon Francis, Justin Meram and Aboubacar Keita Receive International Call-Ups
- Three Columbus Crew SC Player Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Gillette Stadium to Face the New England Revolution on Saturday