Crawdads Top Claws 8-2 in Series Opener Friday Night
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Hickory scored four times to break open a scoreless game in the fifth inning en route to a 8-2 win over the BlueClaws on Friday night at FirstEnergy Park.
The BlueClaws (31-23), who had won six straight entering their game Thursday night, dropped their second straight game while Hickory (20-29) won their third straight in the first of 14 meetings between the two teams this year.
Hickory scored four times in the fourth inning off Spencer Howard to open up the lead. An RBI single from Yonny Hernandez opened the scoring, while Bubba Thompson added a two-run double and later scored on a wild pitch.
Howard (3-4) came out after allowing four runs in five innings after not allowing a hit over the first four innings of the game.
The Crawdads got an unearned run in the sixth inning on a throwing error by relief pitcher Julian Garica. Hickory scored three times off Zach Warren, including an RBI double by Pedro Gonzalezand a solo home run by Tyreque Reed.
Hickory starter RJ Alexy (2-4) gave up one hit and no runs over five innings, while striking out eight to earn the victory.
Preston Scott and Kole Enright had two hits each for Hickory while Rodolfo Duran had two for Lakewood. The teams continue their series on Saturday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Damon Jones (3-2) gets the start for Lakewood opposite RHP Tyler Phillips (2-4).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 1, 2018
- Suns Fall 5-3 in Kannapolis on Friday - Hagerstown Suns
- Mitchell Homers in 10-3 Loss to Greensboro - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Legends Split Doubleheader with Augusta GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Soroka Strong, Rome Defeats Columbia 7-1 - Rome Braves
- Doubleheader Split in Lexington - Augusta GreenJackets
- Gladu Extends Hit Streak to 17 Games - Columbia Fireflies
- Scherff Throws Gem as Drive Defeat Tourists - Greenville Drive
- 'Dogs Nip 'Birds in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Olivares Robs Game-Tying Homer in Ninth as Charleston Bests Delmarva - Charleston RiverDogs
- Boswell Knocks in Three in Another Road Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Crawdads Top Claws 8-2 in Series Opener Friday Night - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Press Box: June 1 at Rome (Game 52) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (June 1) - West Virginia Power
- Holder Promoted as Yankees Alter RiverDogs Roster - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jake Owen Life's Whatcha Make It Tour Visits North Augusta - Augusta GreenJackets
- Preview: Rogers Returns to the Mound - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Greensboro Grasshoppers Set SAL All-Star Game Festivities - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Logan Woodside to Throw out First Pitch at Legends Game - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Jones Leads Claws to 16th Shutout and 2-0 Saturday Win
- Fireflies Top BlueClaws 9-1 on Friday Night in Columbia
- Playoff Bound: BlueClaws Win First-Half Pennant
- Parkinson Dominant; Claws Blank 'Dads 4-0 on Sunday
- Jones Sharp, Ortiz Homers, Claws Keep Playoffs Hopes Alive with 4-2 Win