Cortes placed on DL, Hayes promoted from Wilmington
Right-hander Daniel Cortes has been placed on the 7-day Disabled List, retroactive to April 19th. Cortes, the 21-year old Pomona, CA resident, is the Kansas City Royals' second-best prospect according to Baseball America, and began the season with an 0-1 record and a sparkling 1.35 ERA that ranks him amongst the Texas League leaders. The 6-foot-5 right-hander has allowed nine hits in 13 1/3 innings while striking out nine batters and walking eight. He will be evaluated in the coming days and a decision will be made at that time as to whether he could make his next start when his turn in the rotation comes up again on Monday night against the Arkansas Travelers. Cortes made his last start against the Travelers last Friday, lasting five innings for the first time all season, but taking the hard-luck loss, allowing a lone run on four hits.
Dusty Hughes will make Cortes' scheduled start tonight. Hughes, the 25-year old Horn Lake, MS resident, makes his first start of 2008 after spending all of 2007 in Wichita. Hughes was the Wranglers' best pitcher- making 16 starts (25 appearances) and finishing with a 6-2 with a 3.08 ERA, earning him Wichita pitcher of the year. Hughes also went on to win the Arizona Fall League's Pitcher of the Year award.
To fill Cortes' spot on the Naturals' active roster, right-hander Chris Hayes has been promoted from Advanced-A Wilmington of the Carolina League. Hayes, a 25-year old Chicago, IL native, had begun the campaign on the Blue Rocks' disabled list but will join the Naturals' bullpen. Last season, the submariner posted a 4-4 record and a 3.10 ERA for Class-A Burlington in the Midwest League. For the Bees, Hayes struck out 51 batters and walked 14 in 69 2/3 innings. Hayes is the first player ever to be promoted from Wilmington to Northwest Arkansas
He will wear uniform #2 for Northwest Arkansas and be available for tonight's game. The Naturals roster continues to stand at the Texas League limit of 24 active players.
The Northwest Arkansas Naturals are the Double-A Texas League affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and play at state-of-the-art Arvest Ballpark, located in Springdale.. The Naturals have a toll-free ticket hotline (1-877-444-2637) for fans to purchase Naturals tickets. Our website also offers fans the opportunity to purchase tickets online and avoid lines at the ticket windows by printing their tickets at home or at the office.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 23, 2008
- Hounds Take a Bite out of the Hooks - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sloppy Drillers Outslug Travs 11-9 - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Outscore Travelers 11-9 - Tulsa Drillers
- Wednesday Night's Game vs. Springfield Rained Out - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Double-Header Thursday in Springdale - Springfield Cardinals
- Cortes placed on DL, Hayes promoted from Wilmington - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hooks Face RockHounds Tonight - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Hooks Take the Long Way Home - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Cards Rally for 14-Inning Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Work Overtime, Come up Short - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Northwest Arkansas Naturals Stories
- Royals Announce Jecksson Flores and Jake Newberry as Naturals 2018 Player and Pitcher of the Year
- Flores Claims Batting Title But Naturals Fall in Finale
- Naturals Secure Final Series with Walk-Off Win
- Naturals Kick-Off Final Series with Victory
- Five Naturals Selected for Arizona Fall League