Colorado Tops Aces 4-3 for Seventh Consecutive Win
(Anchorage, AK) - Rookie forward Tyler Fiddler notched a pair of goals, including the game-winner, to help propel the Colorado Eagles to a 4-3 win over the Alaska Aces on Wednesday. Kris Lazaruk claimed the win in net, stopping 31 of Alaska's 34 shots, while forward Jesse Mychan scored his 31st goal of the season, tying him for the league lead.
The Eagles would be the first team to light the lamp, as defenseman Channing Boe served up a centering pass between the circles that Mychan would hammer home to give Colorado the 1-0 lead at the 9:19 mark of the first period.
With the Eagles leading 1-0 after 20 minutes, Colorado would string together back-to-back goals to increase that advantage. Colorado would capitalize on their second power play of the evening when Mychan fed the puck from the side of the net to a wide-open Darryl Bootland who would fire it in from the slot just 4:36 into the second period.
Just 20 seconds later, Fiddler barged into the Aces zone on the right wing and sent a wrist shot over the glove of Aces goaltender Lukas Hafner to make it a 3-0 Colorado advantage. That would signal the end of the night for Hafner, who would give way to Jacob DeSerres in net.
The Aces would put the brakes on three straight goals from the visiting team when defenseman Felix-Antoine Poulin would flick a backhander over the left shoulder of Eagles goalie Kris Lazaruk to cut Colorado's lead to 3-1 with 11:05 remaining in the middle frame.
The Eagles would carry that 3-1 lead into the third period and they would again find a way to extend their lead to 4-1 when Fiddler buried his second goal of the night, sweeping in a rebound in the low-slot with 3:29 remaining in regulation.
The Aces would not go away, however, as they would capitalize twice on a double-minor to Mychan late in the contest. Alaska defenseman Marc-Andre Levesque drove in a slap shot from the point to cut the Eagles lead to 4-2 with 49 seconds left and just 34 seconds later forward Janick Asselin popped in a wrister from the top of the crease to pull Alaska to within one at 4-3. Alaska would pull DeSerres in favor of the extra attacker, but would pull no closer as Colorado would claim the 4-3 victory.
The victory now puts Colorado back in first place in the ECHL's West Division with only two games remaining in the regular season.
Colorado continues its three-game series against the Alaska Aces on Friday, April 8th at 9:15pm MST at Sullivan Arena in Anchorage.
Tickets for groups of 15 or more start at just $14 per seat and can be purchased by calling the Eagles ticket office at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2016
- Americans Will Show Their Blue this Friday - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- Aces Release Redmann, Haar; Sign Barney - Alaska Aces
- Bowman Returns to Eagles Following Second Stint in AHL - Colorado Eagles
- Two Nailers Named to 2015-16 All-ECHL Teams - Wheeling Nailers
- Chad Costello Named to the All-ECHL First Team - Allen Americans
- Komet Syzydlowski Named All-ECHL Second Team Forward - Fort Wayne Komets
- Daavettila, Veideman Named to All-ECHL First Team - Colorado Eagles
- William Wrenn Named to All-ECHL Second Team - Alaska Aces
- Defenseman Adam Comrie Selected to All-ECHL Second Team - Reading Royals
- All-ECHL First and Second Teams Announced - ECHL
- Dr. Tim Hession to Volunteer at the 2016 Summer Olympics - Elmira Jackals
- Solar Bears Sign Brayden Jaw to ATO - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Go Super for Final Regular Season Home Game - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Today - April 7 - ECHL
- Aces Flat in Dropping 4-3 Game to Colorado - Alaska Aces
- Colorado Tops Aces 4-3 for Seventh Consecutive Win - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Colorado Eagles Clinch Playoff Spot, First Round Schedule Announced
- Eagles Defeat San Jose 3-2, Punch Ticket to Playoffs
- Barracuda Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-1
- Forward Travis Barron Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles Earn Big Points in 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves