Colorado Rapids Sign 16-Year-Old Darren Yapi to Homegrown Player Contract
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids have signed 16-year-old forward and Rapids Academy product Darren Yapi to a Homegrown Player contract, the club announced today. Yapi becomes the youngest player ever to sign a professional contract with the club.
"Darren's ability and quality has been evident throughout his time in our academy," said PÃ¡draig Smith, Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "He's worked hard to earn his first pro contract and is just starting to scratch the surface of his potential. He possesses all the necessary qualities to reach the very top of the game and we're excited to see Darren's continued growth at the club."
At 16 years, 104 days old, Yapi is the youngest player ever to sign with the Rapids. He is also the 14th Rapids Academy product to sign a Homegrown contract with Colorado and the 10th since 2017.
Yapi spent much of 2020 training with the Rapids First Team and the club's USL Championship affiliate, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC. Yapi signed a USL Academy contract with Switchbacks FC on July 31 and made his professional debut on Aug. 1 at age 15. In November, Yapi was named Rapids Academy Player of the Year.
A native of Green Valley Ranch, Colo., Yapi joined the Rapids Academy during the 2016-17 season in the U-12 age group. He went on to score 64 goals in 95 appearances for the Rapids Academy, often playing above his age group.
On an international level, Yapi earned three caps for the U.S. U-17 Youth National Team in the UEFA Development Tournament in February 2020.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids sign forward Darren Yapi to a Homegrown Player contract on March 3, 2021.
Birthdate: November 19, 2004
Birthplace: Denver, CO
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 3, 2021
- Austin FC Acquires 19-Year-Old Midfielder Sebastian Berhalter on Loan Ahead of 2021 Inaugural MLS Season - Austin FC
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Midfielder Sebastian Berhalter on Loan - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule - Atlanta United FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Loan Marcelo Palomino to Charlotte Independence - Houston Dynamo FC
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Free Agent Defender Marlon Hairston - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF Announces 2021 MLS Preseason Schedule - Inter Miami CF
- Colorado Rapids Sign 16-Year-Old Darren Yapi to Homegrown Player Contract - Colorado Rapids
- New York Red Bulls Announce 2021 Preseason Plans - New York Red Bulls
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Oliver Larraz to Homegrown Player Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Unveil 2021 First Star Kit - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC Unveils 2021 Preseason Schedule - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Announce 2021 Preseason Game Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers to Continue Preseason Training in Tucson March 15 - Portland Timbers
- Austin FC Acquires 21-Year-Old Slovenian Defender Zan Kolmanic - Austin FC
- Orlando City SC Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Opponents for 2021 Preseason Schedule - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Three Takeaways from the Rapids Season Opener
- Open Cup Committee Determines 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Will Not be Held this Spring
- Rapids Kick off 2021 Season at FC Dallas on Saturday
- Denver to Host First-Ever Concacaf Nations League Finals in June 2021
- Rapids Look to Reap the Benefits of Team Chemistry in 2021