Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Oliver Larraz to Homegrown Player Contract
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids announced today the signing of 19-year-old midfielder Oliver Larraz to a two-year Homegrown Player contract with a club option for an additional two years. Larraz becomes the 13th Rapids Academy product to sign an MLS Homegrown contract with Colorado and the ninth since 2017.
"We're delighted to extend a Homegrown Player contract to a promising young talent like Ollie," said PÃ¡draig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "Ollie has worked hard to progress as player during his time in the academy and he has earned this opportunity with his consistent performances while training with our First Team throughout 2020. We look forward to seeing him continue to develop and contribute to our club."
A Denver native, Larraz started his playing career with the Colorado Rapids Youth Soccer Club during the 2009-10 season before joining the Colorado Rapids Academy in 2014. Larraz played four seasons with the Rapids Academy, often playing several age groups above his own, and was named the club's Academy Player of the Year in 2015. He also spent time with local youth side Real Colorado.
The 19-year-old has been involved with the Rapids First Team for several years. He featured for the Rapids in a preseason friendly ahead of the 2019 MLS season and was a regular at First Team training sessions this past season.
In 2019, Larraz played for German club Duisburg U-19s in the U-19 Bundesliga West, making four appearances for the side. Larraz also spent time with the FC Barcelona Residency Academy in Arizona in January and February 2020.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids sign midfielder Oliver Larraz to a two-year Homegrown Player contract with a club option for an additional two years on March 3, 2021.
Birthdate: September 16, 2001
Birthplace: Denver, CO
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 3, 2021
- Austin FC Acquires 19-Year-Old Midfielder Sebastian Berhalter on Loan Ahead of 2021 Inaugural MLS Season - Austin FC
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Midfielder Sebastian Berhalter on Loan - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule - Atlanta United FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Loan Marcelo Palomino to Charlotte Independence - Houston Dynamo FC
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Free Agent Defender Marlon Hairston - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF Announces 2021 MLS Preseason Schedule - Inter Miami CF
- Colorado Rapids Sign 16-Year-Old Darren Yapi to Homegrown Player Contract - Colorado Rapids
- New York Red Bulls Announce 2021 Preseason Plans - New York Red Bulls
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Oliver Larraz to Homegrown Player Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Unveil 2021 First Star Kit - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC Unveils 2021 Preseason Schedule - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Announce 2021 Preseason Game Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers to Continue Preseason Training in Tucson March 15 - Portland Timbers
- Austin FC Acquires 21-Year-Old Slovenian Defender Zan Kolmanic - Austin FC
- Orlando City SC Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Opponents for 2021 Preseason Schedule - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Denver to Host First-Ever Concacaf Nations League Finals in June 2021
- Rapids Look to Reap the Benefits of Team Chemistry in 2021
- DICK's Sporting Goods Park to Host 7,897 Fans for Rapids Games Starting April 24
- Rapids Top Phoenix in Preseason Finale
- Colorado Rapids Close out Preseason with Scrimmage against Phoenix Rising FC