Colorado Rapids Acquire up to $1.5 Million in Allocation Money from LAFC in Exchange for Kellyn Acosta
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids announced today that the club has acquired a guaranteed $1.1 million in General Allocation Money from LAFC and up to an additional $400,000 in conditional GAM in exchange for midfielder Kellyn Acosta. As part of the trade, the Rapids would retain a portion of the fee if Acosta is transferred abroad or within the league.
"Kellyn has been a valuable contributor on the pitch and a model representative of our club off it since his arrival in 2018," said Pádraig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "He was a key part of our team's turnaround and we're grateful to him for his contributions to the club. We wish him all the best in this next chapter of his career."
Acosta joined the Rapids via trade midway through the 2018 season and went on to feature 79 times in Burgundy, recording seven goals and eight assists across 6,527 minutes of play. His performances for the club saw Acosta return to the U.S. Men's National Team in late 2020 and go on to earn 21 caps in 2021, the most in a calendar year since 1994. During Acosta's four seasons in Colorado, the club made two consecutive postseason appearances for the first time since 2010-2011.
A native of Plano, Texas, Acosta is a product of FC Dallas' academy and spent the first six and a half seasons of his professional career with the Texan side. The 26-year-old has logged 196 regular season appearances, 16 goals and 20 assists in total since making his MLS debut in 2013.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids acquire $1.1 million in GAM and up to $400,000 in conditional GAM from LAFC in exchange for midfielder Kellyn Acosta on January 14, 2022.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 14, 2022
- Real Salt Lake Sees Three Academy Products Named to United States U17 Men's National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Kortne Ford - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Inks Axel Kei to Homegrown Contract to Make Hime the Youngest Player in Major League Soccer's History - Real Salt Lake
- Tune in to the 2022 Preseason Opening Day on January 17 - Inter Miami CF
- Colorado Rapids Acquire up to $1.5 Million in Allocation Money from LAFC in Exchange for Kellyn Acosta - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Acquires U.S. National Team Midfielder Kellyn Acosta from Colorado Rapids - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Signs Bobby Shuttleworth as Free Agent - Atlanta United FC
- Ike Opara Named Sporting KC II Assistant Coach - Sporting Kansas City
- Charlotte FC Sells Midfielder Riley McGree to Middlesbrough FC - Charlotte FC
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Columbus Crew in Exchange for Priority to Jake Morris - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew Signs Defender Jake Morris Following Trade with Seattle Sounders FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Gastón Giménez Receives U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire FC
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Diego Chara to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- Brett Jacobs to Join Real Salt Lake's Coaching Staff - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew Signs Free Agent Defender Jalil Anibaba - Columbus Crew SC
- Whitecaps FC Sign Jamaican International Defender Javain Brown to a Contract Extension - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Acquires Belgian Defender Logan Ndenbe - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Christopher McVey - Inter Miami CF
- Single Match Tickets on Sale Now - Charlotte FC
- FC Cincinnati Re-Sign Defender Nick Hagglund - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew Signs Goalkeeper Brady Scott - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Zardes Opens Account, Rapids Dominate MLS Leaders LAFC 2-0
- Preview: Rapids Return to League Play as They Host LAFC on Saturday
- Keys against LAFC: Find a Rhythm and Repeat Decision Day Performance
- Rapids Fall to Minnesota United FC in Open Cup, Ready to Bounce Back against LAFC on Saturday
- Major League Soccer to Celebrate Soccer for All Week May 12-23