Columbus Crew Signs Free Agent Defender Jalil Anibaba
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew today announced that it has signed Jalil Anibaba [pronounced ah-knee-BAH-bah] via Free Agency. The veteran defender joins the Black & Gold for the 2022 Major League Soccer season with an option for 2023. Anibaba has started 214 of the 240 regular-season matches in which he has appeared, scoring seven goals and adding 14 assists. The 33-year-old has two Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup titles and one Supporters' Shield to his name.
"Jalil is a veteran player with more than a decade of experience in MLS, and his addition to our roster will help bolster the backline," said Columbus Crew President & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "Jalil is a leader on and off the field, and we're pleased that a player with the breadth of his experience in MLS chose to sign with the Crew, and we look forward to having him join our team."
Anibaba joins the Crew after most recently spending the 2020 and 2021 seasons with Nashville SC, where he appeared in 21 regular-season matches.
Selected ninth overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft by Chicago Fire FC, in his rookie season, Anibaba started 27 of the 29 regular-season matches in which he appeared, setting a club record for appearances by a rookie. Additionally, his long-distance game-winner in a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match against the Colorado Rapids on March 31, 2011, was selected as the club's Goal of the Year.
Through the 2013 season, Anibaba appeared in 96 regular-season matches for the Fire, scoring four goals and tallying five assists in league play.
In 2014, Anibaba appeared in 16 regular-season matches for Seattle Sounders FC, helping the Sounders capture both the Supporters' Shield and the U.S. Open Cup trophies that season. The following year with Sporting Kansas City, Anibaba appeared in 16 league matches and won his second U.S. Open Cup title.
The right-footed central defender spent two seasons each with Houston Dynamo FC (2016-2017) and New England Revolution (2018-2019) before being selected by Nashville in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft.
The Davis, California, native has tallied one assist in nine career MLS Cup Playoff matches.
Anibaba additionally serves as an Executive Board Member for the Black Players for Change organization.
Crew players are set to report for entrance physicals and testing on January 16 before departing for a training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, from January 18-28. With the seasonal bubble currently encompassing the field at Historic Crew Stadium, the Crew will train in-market from February 1-6 at the OhioHealth Performance Center prior to traveling to Charleston, South Carolina, for the second trip of the preseason from February 7-19.
The Black & Gold are set to open the 2022 MLS season by hosting Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Lower.com Field in Opening Match on Saturday, February 26 at 3:30 p.m. ET. Following the home opener, the Crew hits the road and travels to face the San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park on March 5 for the first away match of the season. The Crew's full schedule for the 2022 MLS regular season can be found at ColumbusCrew.com.
The 2022 season will be the Black & Gold's first full season at Lower.com Field, located in Astor Park. Fans looking to experience Crew matches have a number of options as Season Ticket Members for 2022, which include benefits such as private, member-only events; a 10 percent discount at the Crew Shop; monthly, interest-free payment plans; the ability to purchase discounted parking; pre-sale access to all events at Lower.com Field, Historic Crew Stadium and FirstEnergy Stadium; and a dedicated account manager and service representative.
Fans can also choose between various packages that offer great benefits and ticket discounts, including Nine-Match Ticket Plans, Five-Match Ticket Plans, and Group Ticket Plans which are on sale now. Fans can additionally purchase single-match tickets, which are now available.
Supporters interested in securing their seat for the 2022 season can call 614-447-2739, visit columbuscrew.com/tickets or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected with a Ticket Sales Representative.
The Crew's current roster, listed alphabetically by position, is listed below:
Goalkeepers (4): Evan Bush, Eloy Room, Patrick Schulte, Brady Scott
Defenders (4): Jalil Anibaba, Jonathan Mensah, Steven Moreira, Josh Williams
Midfielders (15): Artur, Sebastian Berhalter, Luis Diaz, Derrick Etienne Jr., Marlon Hairston, Perry Kitchen, Alex Matan, Kevin Molino, Aidan Morris, Darlington Nagbe, Isaiah Parente, Pedro Santos, Yaw Yeboah, Sean Zawadzki, Lucas Zelarayan
Forwards (2): Miguel Berry, Gyasi Zardes
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew signs defender Jalil Anibaba via Free Agency for the 2022 season with an option for 2023, announced on January 14, 2022.
Name: Jalil Anibaba [ah-knee-BAH-bah]
Weight: 185 lbs.
Born: October 19, 1988 in Davis, California
Hometown: Davis, California
Citizenship: United States
Acquired: Signed by Columbus Crew via Free Agency on January 14, 2022.
Previous Experience: Nashville SC (2020-2021), New England Revolution (2018-2019), Houston Dynamo FC (2016-2017), Sporting Kansas City (2015), Seattle Sounders FC (2014), Chicago Fire FC (2011-2013)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 14, 2022
- Real Salt Lake Sees Three Academy Products Named to United States U17 Men's National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Kortne Ford - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Inks Axel Kei to Homegrown Contract to Make Hime the Youngest Player in Major League Soccer's History - Real Salt Lake
- Tune in to the 2022 Preseason Opening Day on January 17 - Inter Miami CF
- Colorado Rapids Acquire up to $1.5 Million in Allocation Money from LAFC in Exchange for Kellyn Acosta - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Acquires U.S. National Team Midfielder Kellyn Acosta from Colorado Rapids - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Signs Bobby Shuttleworth as Free Agent - Atlanta United FC
- Ike Opara Named Sporting KC II Assistant Coach - Sporting Kansas City
- Charlotte FC Sells Midfielder Riley McGree to Middlesbrough FC - Charlotte FC
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Columbus Crew in Exchange for Priority to Jake Morris - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew Signs Defender Jake Morris Following Trade with Seattle Sounders FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Gastón Giménez Receives U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire FC
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Diego Chara to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- Brett Jacobs to Join Real Salt Lake's Coaching Staff - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew Signs Free Agent Defender Jalil Anibaba - Columbus Crew SC
- Whitecaps FC Sign Jamaican International Defender Javain Brown to a Contract Extension - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Acquires Belgian Defender Logan Ndenbe - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Christopher McVey - Inter Miami CF
- Single Match Tickets on Sale Now - Charlotte FC
- FC Cincinnati Re-Sign Defender Nick Hagglund - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew Signs Goalkeeper Brady Scott - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Fans Set Guinness World Records© Title for Longest Chain of Sports Fan Scarfs to Support on Our Sleeves®
- Columbus Crew Supporters' March to the Match Returns this Weekend
- Columbus Crew Adds Noah Fuson on Short-Term Loan from Columbus Crew 2
- Columbus Crew Acquires up to $1.4 Million in General Allocation Money from the Colorado Rapids in Exchange for Gyasi Zardes
- Columbus Crew's Historic Crew Stadium to Serve as Home of OHSAA Lacrosse State Championships