Colonials Falter In Game Two
BROCKTON, MA - The Brockton Rox broke open a tie game with a five-run sixth inning to pull away with a 12-6 win over the Pittsfield Colonials.
The Colonials got the first run of the game in the first inning when a couple of walks and a sacrifice fly by Johnny Welch scored Jerod Edmondson for a 1-0 lead. The Rox would storm back in the bottom of the inning, plating four, two on a Melvin Falu homer to take a 4-1 advantage.
Pittsfield would rally in the fourth. Coming into the inning without a hit, the Colonials knocked three doubles in the inning, scoring three runs and tying the game at 4-4. Once again, Brockton would counter in the bottom of the inning as a Chris Valencia single scored a pair to give the Rox a 6-4 lead.
The Colonials cut the lead to 6-5 in the top of the fifth on a single by Danny Bomback which scored Edmondson who had doubled to lead off the inning. Pittsfield would rally for the second tie the game in the sixth when Rafael Cabreja singled home Peter Fatse to knot the game at 6-6.
For the second straight night, the Rox rallied late, plating five runs in the sixth inning with the key blow being a Trey Hernandez grand slam. One more run would come in during the seventh on a Chris Grossmand RBI single to put Brockton up 12-6.
The win went to Daniel Schmidt (2-0) who pitched 1.2 innings allowing one run for the Rox. MacKenzie King (1-2) took the loss for Pittsfield.
The final of the series comes up on Tuesday with David Qualben (3-2, 3.17) on the mound for Pittsfield against Robert Bono (2-0, 3.34) taking the hill for Brockton. It is a day game with the pregame show on 89.7 WTBR FM starting at 10:45 a.m. in front of an anticipated 11:05 a.m. first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from July 11, 2011
- Hernandez and Rox Slam Colonials, 12-6 - Brockton Rox
- Can-Am League Game Recaps - Can-Am
- Four Worcester Homers Help Tornadoes Down New Jersey - New Jersey Jackals
- Minicozzi Homers Twice in 14-5 Win - Worcester Tornadoes
- Colonials Falter In Game Two - Pittsfield Colonials
- Rockland, Quebec Postponed - Rockland Boulders
- Jackals' Leverton Repeats As Can-Am League Pitcher Of The Week - New Jersey Jackals
- Welch, Leverton Named Can-Am League Players of the Week - Can-Am
- Rox Sign Pitcher - Brockton Rox
- Rockland Boulders and Active International Announce 2011 Charity Challenge - Rockland Boulders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pittsfield Colonials Stories
- Colonials' Season Comes To A Close
- Colonials Fall To Brink
- Jackals Take Early Series Lead
- Moran Named Can-Am Top Rookie
- Jamie Keefe Named Can-Am League Manager of the Year