Welch, Leverton Named Can-Am League Players of the Week
July 11, 2011 - Canadian American League (Can-Am) News Release
DURHAM, NC - Pointstreak, the official statistician of the Can-Am League, has selected Pittsfield Colonials INF Johnny Welch and New Jersey Jackals LHP James Leverton as the Pointstreak Batter and Pitcher of the Week.
Welch batted .412 with three home runs and seven RBIs in five games. The resident of Medford, MA plated six runs, collected seven hits and walked three times. Welch also had an on-base percentage of. 500 to go along with a 1.000 slugging percentage.
On the season, the 27-year-old is hitting .329 with 12 home runs and 32 runs batted in. Welch is tied for first in the league in home runs and is sixth in hitting.
This is the second consecutive Pitcher of the Week award for Leverton. The 25-year-old, in the 4-0 win over Quebec Friday, tossed eight shutout innings allowing only one walk and four hits while striking out 12 batters. Leverton is currently 6-2 on the year with an earned run average of 2.12. He is tied for second in the Can-Am in wins, is third in ERA and tied for third in strikeouts with 51.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from July 11, 2011
- Hernandez and Rox Slam Colonials, 12-6 - Brockton Rox
- Can-Am League Game Recaps - Can-Am
- Four Worcester Homers Help Tornadoes Down New Jersey - New Jersey Jackals
- Minicozzi Homers Twice in 14-5 Win - Worcester Tornadoes
- Colonials Falter In Game Two - Pittsfield Colonials
- Rockland, Quebec Postponed - Rockland Boulders
- Jackals' Leverton Repeats As Can-Am League Pitcher Of The Week - New Jersey Jackals
- Welch, Leverton Named Can-Am League Players of the Week - Can-Am
- Rox Sign Pitcher - Brockton Rox
- Rockland Boulders and Active International Announce 2011 Charity Challenge - Rockland Boulders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.