Cody Sol Inks Fifth Season at Komet Blue Line
Fort Wayne, IN - The Komets announced Monday that defenseman Cody Sol and forward Taylor Crunk have agreed to terms and have been added to the preseason roster for 2018-19.
Sol, 27, will be back for his fifth season at the Komet blue line and seventh as a pro. The Woodstock, Ontario native set career season highs of eight goals, 21 assists and 29 points during 2017-18 and ranked fifth on the Komets, third among defensemen, with +30 and led Fort Wayne for the forth consecutive season with 119 penalty minutes. Sol appeared in all 18 playoff games and has not missed a Komet post-season game for four straight years amassing seven goals and 18 points in 56 playoff outings. The veteran defenseman has posted ECHL totals of 35 goals, 116 points and 926 penalty minutes in 336 ECHL career games.
"As Komet Defenseman of the Year last season it was imperative that we re-sign Cody," Komets general manager David Franke said. "Cody is a fan-favorite and very active in the Fort Wayne community during the season. He is our emotional leader in the locker room and a key ingredient to our core group of players."
Crunk, 23, will return for his third full season with the Komets. The San Jacinto, California native first appeared with Fort Wayne in 2015-16 when he completed a five-year juniors stint before making his pro debut appearing in eight regular season games and one playoff tilt with Fort Wayne. Last year the forward skated 28 games with the Komets and dished six assists before being placed on season-ending injured reserve in February. Crunk has Fort Wayne totals of two goals, 15 points and 192 penalty minutes in 78 games.
"Taylor Crunk is successfully re-habing his surgically repaired hip," Franke said. "He will be ready for training camp on Oct. 1. Taylor provides the physical presence we need. He loves Fort Wayne as it has become his second home. We welcome both Cody and Taylor back to Komet land."
The Komets preseason roster grows to seven players and includes three forwards and four defensemen. Previously announced were Jamie Schaafsma (F), Anthony Petruzzelli (F), Jason Binkley (D), Ryan Lowney (D) and Kevin Gibson (D).
The Komets' 2018-19 season home opener is slated for Saturday, Oct. 20 against the Kalamazoo Wings. Season tickets are on sale at the Komet office at 1010 Memorial Way in Fort Wayne. For more information visit the Komet office, Komets.com or call 260-483-0011.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 2, 2018
- Merasty Returns to Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Florida Everblades
- Americans Extend Qualifying Offers - Allen Americans
- Cody Sol Inks Fifth Season at Komet Blue Line - Fort Wayne Komets
- Johno May Returns for 2018-19 Season - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Macdonald Named Assistant Coach in Grand Rapids - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Brad Tapper Named to Grand Rapids Griffins Coaching Staff - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Extend Eight Qualifying Offers - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Extend Seven Qualifying Offers - Fort Wayne Komets
- Nailers Extend Qualifying Offers to Four Players - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Announces Players with Qualifying Offers - ECHL
- Solar Bears Extend Qualifying Offers for 2018-19 Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Make Qualifying Offers to Six - Toledo Walleye
- Swamp Rabbits Extend Qualifying Offers to Seven - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rush Tender Four Qualifying Offers - Rapid City Rush
- Admirals Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers Acquire Zac Lynch from Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Zac Lynch Traded to Wheeling - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Issue Seven Qualifying Offers - Tulsa Oilers
- Adirondack Tenders Seven Qualifying Offers - Adirondack Thunder
- South Carolina Announces Qualifying Offers - South Carolina Stingrays
- IceMen Extend Eight Qualifying Offers - Jacksonville IceMen
- Gladiators Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Komets Ground Wings in Season Opener 5-2; Wheeling Visits Friday, Walleye Invade Saturday
- Komets Launch 68th Season Saturday; Arich Rival Wings Visit for Opener
- Komets Make Roster Moves
- Komets Open 2019 Training Camp
- Komets Ink Two-Time Kelly Cup Champ St. Amant