Johno May Returns for 2018-19 Season
Greenville, SC - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits announced that the club has re-signed forward Johno May for the upcoming 2018-19 season. May skated with the Swamp Rabbits last year in the final eight games of the regular season, notching a goal and five assists in his first pro action.
May, 24, made his pro debut in Greenville on Mar. 23 against the Jacksonville Icemen and made some club history. His first pro goal in the third period held up as the game-winning goal, becoming the franchise's first player to score a game-winning goal in his pro debut. The following night he collected three assists and helped Greenville to a weekend sweep of the Icemen.
"I give a huge amount of credit to the veteran players and the fans last season. Greenville is such a great town and it's a great opportunity to play there," said May. "I've had some great conversations with coach already. I'm excited about the tough brand of hockey he wants to bring to Greenville. Those teams typically have the hardest working players, so it's going to make us an exciting team on the ice for the fans to rally behind."
"Last year I was able to find areas of my game that needed improvement," he continued. "At the pro level things definitely speed up and you have less time, so any way I can make myself faster has been a focus this offseason. I'm just looking forward to getting back in the swing of things."
The Mahtomedi, Minnesota native came to Greenville from American International College where he played four seasons. In 143 games, May tallied 60 points (22G, 38A) and had his most productive offensive season as a freshman. The 6-foot-5 rookie notched 30 points (7G, 23A), was third on the roster in scoring, and notched the second most assists in school history.
"We are excited to have (Johno) back. We were looking for a player of his size and ability, who can contribute at both ends of the ice," said head coach Kevin Kerr. "He really exploded at the end of last season and showed he has the vision to play at the ECHL level. It will be good to see how that experience helped prepare him for this year"
Before enrolling at AIC, May played parts of two seasons in the NAHL with the Minnesota Wilderness, Janesville Jets, and Bismarck Bobcats. In 78 games from 2012-2014, he collected 36 points (12G, 24A). May also played three seasons at Mahtomedi High School in Minnesota before turning to junior hockey.
May joins JT Henke on the Swamp Rabbits offseason signings list. As the offseason continues, stay tuned to SwampRabbits.com for a full updated list of players to sign for the upcoming season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 2, 2018
- Merasty Returns to Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Florida Everblades
- Americans Extend Qualifying Offers - Allen Americans
- Cody Sol Inks Fifth Season at Komet Blue Line - Fort Wayne Komets
- Johno May Returns for 2018-19 Season - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Macdonald Named Assistant Coach in Grand Rapids - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Brad Tapper Named to Grand Rapids Griffins Coaching Staff - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Extend Eight Qualifying Offers - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Extend Seven Qualifying Offers - Fort Wayne Komets
- Nailers Extend Qualifying Offers to Four Players - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Announces Players with Qualifying Offers - ECHL
- Solar Bears Extend Qualifying Offers for 2018-19 Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Make Qualifying Offers to Six - Toledo Walleye
- Swamp Rabbits Extend Qualifying Offers to Seven - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rush Tender Four Qualifying Offers - Rapid City Rush
- Admirals Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers Acquire Zac Lynch from Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Zac Lynch Traded to Wheeling - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Issue Seven Qualifying Offers - Tulsa Oilers
- Adirondack Tenders Seven Qualifying Offers - Adirondack Thunder
- South Carolina Announces Qualifying Offers - South Carolina Stingrays
- IceMen Extend Eight Qualifying Offers - Jacksonville IceMen
- Gladiators Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.