Club America and Club Atlas Draw 10,767 Fans in Fresno Exhibition
FRESNO, Calif. - There was a constant buzz from the early afternoon and into the night as 10,767 fans gathered at Chukchansi Park to watch Club America and Club Atlas play to a 0-0 draw in a Liga MX exhibition on Wednesday.
Las Aguilas, on their final stop of their Tour Aguila, were the clear favorite with the majority of the stadium sporting yellow and blue.
The match featured high-profile athletes on both sides. Mexican national team defender Paul Aguilar captained Club America while United States national team midfielder Joe Corona (America) and defender Omar Gonzalez (Club Atlas) also received some of the fanfare.
It was the 13th Liga MX exhibition match to take over downtown Fresno in the last seven years, and the first match between the two sides. Liga MX last came to Fresno in 2013, when it set a then stadium-record of 16,125 fans in a 3-1 win over Jaguares de Chiapas. A few years later, Club Atlas would help break that record, drawing a standing-room-only crowd of 16,821 when they faced Las Chivas de Guadalajara.
Soccer returns to Chukchansi Park as Fresno FC hosts Phoenix Rising FC on Saturday, July 14 in a crucial match for the Foxes who are on the hunt for a Western Conference playoff spot. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Chukchansi Park. The Foxes played to a 1-1 draw at Phoenix Rising FC earlier this season. Tickets are available at http://tickets.fresnofc.com or the stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 12, 2018
- Previewing Fresno FC vs. Phoenix Rising FC - Fresno FC
- Lights FC Adds Dynamic Defender Joseph Patrick Perez as Midseason Transfer from Liga MX Club Puebla FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Indy Eleven Announces Hays + Sons as Corporate Sponsor - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Deals Michael Cox to Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- STLFC Acquires Michael Cox - Saint Louis FC
- COOP Aleworks and Energy FC Host Watch Party for World Cup Final - OKC Energy FC
- Switchbacks FC Sign Forward Nicholas Amoako - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- FC Cincinnati's Emmanuel Ledesma Earns USL Player of Month Honors - FC Cincinnati
- Cincinnati's Ledesma Voted USL Player of the Month - USL
- Phoenix's Schantz Named USL Coach of the Month - USL
- Kickers Pack Bags to Face New York Red Bulls II - Richmond Kickers
- Club America and Club Atlas Draw 10,767 Fans in Fresno Exhibition - Fresno FC
- RGV FC Toros Defeat Club Santos Laguna 3-0 - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.