RGV FC Toros Defeat Club Santos Laguna 3-0
EDINBURG, TEXAS - The Rio Grande Valley FC Toros defeated the reigning Liga MX Champions, Club Santos Laguna, 3-0 in a friendly exhibition played at H-E-B Park. Pablo Aguilar, Jordan Jones, and Monday Etim all got on the score sheet for the Toros.
The visitors from Torreon had the first dangerous play in the match. In the 12th minute, Jorge Gonzalez hit the crossbar and failed to give Santos the lead. RGV's Pablo Aguilar got things going for the Toros from a set piece. From a free kick, Aguilar placed his shot in the top left corner of the goal to give the Toros the lead in the 21st minute.
After the goal, lanes opened up for the Toros. In the 28th minute, Jordan Jones doubled the lead for the Toros. Todd Wharton's throw-in beat the defenders' backs and left Jones against Carlos Acevedo, goalkeeper for Santos Laguna. Jones was able to hold off the defenders and strike his shot into goal. Jones had another chance to bag his second goal of the night in the 35th minute, but his shot went wide to the left.
As Club Santos Laguna pushed numbers forward, Rio Grande Valley held their own. In the 51st minute, goalkeeper Matt Sanchez blocked Jonathan Rodriguez from pulling one back for Santos Laguna. Roberto Castellanos blocked the rebounded shot from Sanchez's save. Three minutes later, Julio Furch tried chipping a through ball over Sanchez but his shot missed the target.
In the 58th minute, Alan Magda's diving header connected with a cross but the ball went over the crossbar. Monday Etim gave the Toros their last goal of the night in the 64th minute. Manny Padilla's cross found Etim who buried the shot into the back of the net. Matt Sanchez's work was not done yet. In stoppage time, Sanchez denied Furch from scoring off a floating header.
The Rio Grande Valley FC Toros return to USL action on July 14 when they take on Las Vegas Lights FC for the very first time. The match will kick-off at 7:30p.m. at H-E-B Park.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 12, 2018
- Previewing Fresno FC vs. Phoenix Rising FC - Fresno FC
- Lights FC Adds Dynamic Defender Joseph Patrick Perez as Midseason Transfer from Liga MX Club Puebla FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Indy Eleven Announces Hays + Sons as Corporate Sponsor - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Deals Michael Cox to Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- STLFC Acquires Michael Cox - Saint Louis FC
- COOP Aleworks and Energy FC Host Watch Party for World Cup Final - OKC Energy FC
- Switchbacks FC Sign Forward Nicholas Amoako - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- FC Cincinnati's Emmanuel Ledesma Earns USL Player of Month Honors - FC Cincinnati
- Cincinnati's Ledesma Voted USL Player of the Month - USL
- Phoenix's Schantz Named USL Coach of the Month - USL
- Kickers Pack Bags to Face New York Red Bulls II - Richmond Kickers
- Club America and Club Atlas Draw 10,767 Fans in Fresno Exhibition - Fresno FC
- RGV FC Toros Defeat Club Santos Laguna 3-0 - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- Houston Dynamo Defeat RGV FC 2-1 in Preseason Scrimmage
- RGV FC Announces Roster Ahead of 2019 Preseason Friendly
- RGV FC Announces 2019 Preseason Schedule
- Rio Grande Valley FC Reveals 2019 USL Championship Season Schedule
- 2019 Rio Grande Valley FC Tryouts January 12 and 13