Phoenix's Schantz Named USL Coach of the Month
July 12, 2018 - United Soccer League (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - Phoenix Rising FC's Rick Schantz has been voted the USL Coach of the Month for June, having led Rising FC to an undefeated record during which the club recorded four consecutive shutouts after he took the reins from the departing Patrice Carteron early in the month.
The USL Coach of the Month award is voted upon by the USL National Media Panel and the USL Technical Committee, with each group responsible for 50 percent of the overall vote.
"This is an honor that is shared with my entire staff and players," said Schantz. "While I'm humbled by the distinction, I know that is takes many people to achieve the success PRFC has this past month. I asked that PRFC become a family and support one another - that's what happened."
Schantz began his second stint as the Head Coach of Rising FC on June 11, as Carteron joined Al Ahly SC of the Egyptian Premier League, and the following night led the side to a 4-0 victory against Las Vegas Lights FC. Opening with that victory, Phoenix went 3-0-1 under Schantz while not conceding a goal as the club's shutout streak reached 466 minutes entering this Saturday's game with Fresno FC.
Schantz received 50 percent of the poll to claim the award ahead of Indy Eleven's Martin Rennie, who finished second with 23 percent of the poll after leading Indy to a 3-0-1 record that included the Eleven becoming the first side to hand Nashville SC defeat on home turf this season, as the side moved into the top four of the Eastern Conference.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Previewing Fresno FC vs. Phoenix Rising FC - Fresno FC
- Lights FC Adds Dynamic Defender Joseph Patrick Perez as Midseason Transfer from Liga MX Club Puebla FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Indy Eleven Announces Hays + Sons as Corporate Sponsor - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Deals Michael Cox to Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- STLFC Acquires Michael Cox - Saint Louis FC
- COOP Aleworks and Energy FC Host Watch Party for World Cup Final - OKC Energy FC
- Switchbacks FC Sign Forward Nicholas Amoako - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- FC Cincinnati's Emmanuel Ledesma Earns USL Player of Month Honors - FC Cincinnati
- Cincinnati's Ledesma Voted USL Player of the Month - USL
- Phoenix's Schantz Named USL Coach of the Month - USL
- Kickers Pack Bags to Face New York Red Bulls II - Richmond Kickers
- Club America and Club Atlas Draw 10,767 Fans in Fresno Exhibition - Fresno FC
- RGV FC Toros Defeat Club Santos Laguna 3-0 - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.