Close Game Decided in the Third Period
The Winterhawks battled to the end, but lose 4-2 against the Eastern Conference's top team.
The start of Friday night's game certainly lived up to the hype with the two best offensive teams in the Western Hockey League teams finding the back of the net a couple of times. Seth Jarvis found the first goal of the quick-paced game with a walking shot in the slot to beat Ian Scott short side. In response a few minutes later, Joel Hofer made a dazzling stop in the first half of the period to keep the Hawks on top.
The Raiders got rolling after the media timeout, scoring a pair of goals in a five-minute stretch to take their first lead of the game at 2-1. The Winterhawks responded with a few chances of their own and drew a 5-on-3 power play. Cody Glass found Jake Gricius on the opposite post in the 17th minute of the game to tie the game at 2-2 heading into the intermission.
Despite 17 total shots in the second period, neither team was able to score, setting up a dramatic finish to the night.
Nearing the midway point of the final period, Brett Leason skate wide on the right wing and worked himself into a position to get a puck on net and it found its way through to give the Raiders the lead again. Portland made a push, but could not convert with the extra attacker.
Prince Albert scored an insurance marker of an empty net goal to beat the Winterhawks 4-2, ending their six game winning streak. The Hawks take on the Blades Saturday night at 5:00 pm PST before heading home.
Portland heads to Canada to play six games in nine nights against the East Division teams. They return on January 19th for a home game against Everett in the sunset game at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The puck is set to drop at 5:00 p.m. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
1st @ 6:57 - POR - Seth Jarvis (11), Matthew Quigley
1st @ 11:58 - PA - Cole Fonstad (15), Noah Gregor, Kaiden Guhle
1st @ 15:40 - PA - Zack Hayes (3), Noah Gregor, Brett Leason
1st @ 17:06 - POR - Jake Gricius (19), Cody Glass, Joachim Blichfeld
3rd @ 8:52 - PA - Brett Leason (29), Aliaksei Protas, Zack Hayes
3rd @ 18:38 - PA - Sean Montgomery (18), Jeremy Masella
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Joel Hofer with 23 saves
PA: Ian Scott with 27 saves
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Close Game Decided in the Third Period - Portland Winterhawks
- Kastelic Scores in OT to Lift Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- WHL Announces Five-Game Suspension for Blazers' Faith - WHL
- Cougars Solidify Blue-Line - Prince George Cougars
- Game Preview: Blades Aim to Take out Hitmen - Saskatoon Blades
- Game 42 vs Regina - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Prince Albert - Game #42 - Portland Winterhawks
- Broncos Put 'C' on Nagel and Name Leadership Group - Swift Current Broncos
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Friday, January 11 at Saskatoon - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Preview: Pats Head to Medicine Hat for Final Meeting of 2018-19 with Tigers - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.