Chiefs Trade Forward Owen MacNeil to Medicine Hat for Draft Picks
Spokane, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs announced on Tuesday that they have acquired two WHL Draft picks from the Medicine Hat Tigers in exchange for forward Owen MacNeil. The Tigers will send Spokane a fourth-round pick in 2022 and an eighth-round pick in 2023.
"We'd like to thank Owen and his family for being a part of the Chiefs organization," said Chiefs General Manager Scott Carter. "He has given us 100 percent from day one as a Chief and we wish him all the best in Medicine Hat."
MacNeil, a 2003-born center from Calgary, was a second-round pick by the Chiefs in 2018. In 67 games played over two seasons, he has scored three goals and eight assists for 11 points, adding 23 penalty minutes.
The move trims the Chiefs' pre-season roster to 15 forwards, with three (Jack Finley, Bear Hughes, Luke Toporowski) already or soon to be headed to NHL training camps.
Currently rostered 2018 WHL Draft choices by Spokane include: D Graham Sward (1st round), F Blake Swetlikoff (3rd), G Mason Beaupit (4th), D Chase Friedt-Mohr (5th), F Grady Lane (5th), and F Copeland Fricker (9th).
The Spokane Chiefs are a member of the U.S. Division of the Western Hockey League, the world's finest development league for junior hockey players. Since 1985 the Chiefs have been a pillar in the Spokane community, offering family-friendly entertainment and a winning tradition which includes: two Memorial Cup Championships in 1991 & 2008, two WHL Championships in 1991 & 2008 and four Western Conference Championships in 1991, 1996, 2000 & 2008. Over 60 alumni have gone on to play in the National Hockey League.
The Chiefs' 2021-22 regular season will begin on Saturday, October 2 as they host the Tri-City Americans at Spokane Arena. Ticket packages for the 2021-22 season are available now! With options starting at just $80, there's an option to fit every budget and schedule. For more information, visit spokanechiefs.com.
Single game tickets for the Chiefs' 2021-22 regular season will go on sale via ticketswest.com on Wednesday, September 15 at 10 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 14, 2021
- Tigers Acquire MacNeil - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Blazers Announce Signing of 2005-Born Forward Emmitt Finnie - Kamloops Blazers
- Chiefs Trade Forward Owen MacNeil to Medicine Hat for Draft Picks - Spokane Chiefs
- Hurricanes Announce Pre-Season Roster & Schedule - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Victoria Royals Sign Goaltender Logan Cunningham - Victoria Royals
- Blazers Announce WHL Preseason Tickets on Sale Tomorrow - Kamloops Blazers
- Hitmen Four Game Pre-Season Opens this Weekend - Calgary Hitmen
- Chiefs to Retire Tyler Johnson's Jersey on February 4 - Spokane Chiefs
- Rockets Announce Ticket On Sale Date For Preseason Games - Kelowna Rockets
- Hurricanes Ink Renas to WHL Player Agreement - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Wheat Kings Sign Four Prospects - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Warriors Sign Four Prospects out of Training Camp - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.