Chiefs drop Rockets
The Kelowna Rockets were blanked 6-0 by the Spokane Chiefs on Saturday night at the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena in Spokane Washington.
Spokane's power play scored five of their six goals while on the man advantage. Former Rockets netminder, Jame Porter stopped 17 shots to pick up his first shutout of the season.
Leif Mattson (12), a former Rocket, opened the scoring 7:12 into the game. Adam Beckman (36) and Mattson (13) scored back-to-back power-play goals to make it a three-goal lead for the Chiefs.
Chiefs captain, Ty Smith (8) scored the lone goal of the second period while on the power-play.
Luke Toporowski (17) and Brandon Reller (4) netted the Chiefs fourth and fifth power-play goals of the game during the final frame.
Kelowna was zero-for-three with the power play, while Spokane was five-for-nine with the man advantage.
Rockets starter Roman Basran stopped 39 of the 45 shots fired on him. Spokane outshot Kelowna 37-12. Devin Steffler, Michael Farren (upper body/day to day), Matthew Wedman, Liam Kindree (upper body/nine weeks) and Nolan FooteFoote (lower body/week to week) were the Rockets scratches.
Kelowna will be back in action on Friday when they host the high flying Portland Winterhawks for back-to-back home games at Prospera Place next weekend. Tickets are on sale at selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets battle the Spokane Chiefs
(Larry Brunt/Spokane Chiefs)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 2, 2020
- McCartney Earns Monthly TELUS Honour - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Upend Tigers to Close out Trip - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Giants Edge Blazers 3-2 and Sweep the Weekend Home-And-Home - Vancouver Giants
- Potent Power Play Leads Ams to 3-2 Victory over Cougars - Tri-City Americans
- Tri-City Americans Earn Split with Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- Porter Registers Shutout as Chiefs Rout Rockets - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Leads T-Birds to Shootout Win over Portland - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs drop Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Fall 4-3 to Wheat Kings - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings Down ICE, 4-1, During United against Cancer - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Hawks Fight Cancer and Take the Game to a Shootout - Portland Winterhawks
- Hurricanes Take the Points in Saturday Night Squabble - Saskatoon Blades
- Oil Kings Get the Better of ICE - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.