Chiefs Acquire Calla from Kamloops
The Spokane Chiefs have acquired overage forward Brady Calla from the Kamloops Blazers in exchange for 20-year-old Seth Compton and a third round selection in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft. Calla has appeared in 289 career WHL games, scored 50 goals and 147 points with Everett, Moose Jaw and Kamloops. Calla was Florida's third round pick in the 2006 NHL Draft.
"Seth is a heart and soul guy who comes to play each and ever night," Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said. "He has been a great leader and teammate for our organization. We would like to thank Seth for his contributions and wish him all the best."
Head Coach Hardy Sauter said, "Having been a part of a Memorial Cup win it is difficult to let go one of those players but we feel like we needed a different look up front and wanted to add a little more size. Obviously, we can't thank Seth enough for what he did for the Chiefs organization and we wish him luck in the future."
This year, Calla scored four goals and 12 points in 18 games with the Blazers after starting the season with the Rochester Americans, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Florida Panthers.
Compton, in his fifth season in a Chiefs sweater, leaves Spokane with 266 career games played tied for 13th all-time in franchise history. The West Richland native appeared in a career high 71 games in 2007-08 and scored a career high 13 goals and 20 points. After the season Compton was named the Chiefs co-Player's Player. Originally a fifth round pick in 2003, he has worn an "A" for the past two seasons.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2009
- Rowinski Joins Warriors - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Calgary Hitmen Acquire WHL's Top Goal Scorer in Trade with Moose Jaw Warriors - Calgary Hitmen
- World Junior Players to be Honored Saturday - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- New Look Canes Debut Friday - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Hitmen Complete Trade With Kootenay Ice - Calgary Hitmen
- Ice Acquire Forward from Calgary - Kootenay Ice
- Giants and Blazers Complete Trade - Vancouver Giants
- Kulchar, Draft Choices Acquired From Giants - Kamloops Blazers
- Kelowna Rockets Trade Dylan Hood - Kelowna Rockets
- Warriors and Rockets Exchange Forwards - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Hitmen's Jones named ADT CHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Warriors' Broda named Boston Pizza CHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Heemskerk Leads Everett Past Tri-City - Everett Silvertips
- 'Tips Soak Americans 3-1 - Tri-City Americans
- Chiefs take 4-1 win over Bruins - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs Acquire Calla from Kamloops - Spokane Chiefs
- Blazers Acquire Compton, Draft Choice from Chiefs - Kamloops Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Smith Named Team Captain as Canada Opens U18s with Win over USA
- Three Chiefs Included in NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings
- Dan Lambert to Coach at 2018 U.S. Prospects Camp
- Scott Burt Among Chiefs' Hockey Staff Extensions
- Ty Smith Named WHL Western Conference Scholastic Player of the Year