Chicago Sky Selects Shey Peddy and Sydney Carter in 2012 WNBA Draft
CHICAGO, April 16, 2012 - The Chicago Sky has drafted Shey Peddy of Temple University with the 23rd pick and Sydney Carter of Texas A&M University with the 27th pick of the 2012 WNBA Draft held today in Bristol Connecticut.
Peddy, a 5-foot 7-inch guard, was the 2011-12 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year. She set the Owls single-season record for steals last season with 104 and helped guide Temple to a 23-10 record and a WNIT berth. Named the Owl's MVP in her senior season, she averaged 17.3 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game
Sydney Carter, a 5-foot 6-inch guard, was a three-time co-captain for the Aggies, 2011-12 Big 12 All-Defensive Team member and named to the All-Big 12 Second Team. In 2010-2011, she was named the NCAA Dallas Regional Most Outstanding Player en route to Texas A&M winning their first national championship. Carter was also selected for the 2008-09 Big 12 All-Freshman Team.
"I feel we were able to get a couple of quality players with our picks," said Chicago Sky General Manager & Head Coach Pokey Chatman. "Shey's dominated both sides of the ball, as she was the Atlantic 10's Player of the Year, as well as the Defensive Player of the Year! Sydney's that combo guard that will get after you defensively and knock down tough shots. The bonus for me is that both come from very good programs and have received top-notch coaching, which will benefit their transition to this level."
The Sky traded its first round pick in this year's draft to the Seattle Storm in exchange for forwards Swin Cash and Le'coe Willingham. Other recent additions to the Sky roster include center Ruth Riley, guard Ticha Penicheiro, Serbian forward Sonja Petrovic and former DePaul standout forward Felicia Chester-Wooton.
"With the trade, free agent signings and the draft, I think we're going to have one heck of a training camp," Chatman added.
The Sky's training camp opens April 29 with the season officially tipping off on May 19 against the Washington Mystics. Chicago's home opener is on Friday, May 25 versus the Indiana Fever.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 16, 2012
- Chicago Sky Selects Shey Peddy and Sydney Carter in 2012 WNBA Draft - Chicago Sky
- Phoenix Mercury Selects Samantha Prahalis in First Round of WNBA Draft - Phoenix Mercury
- Sun Draft Astan Dabo with Ninth Overall Pick - Connecticut Sun
- Lynx Complete 2012 WNBA Draft - Minnesota Lynx
- Atlanta Dream Selects Tiffany Hayes in WNBA Draft - Atlanta Dream
- Ogwumike, Stricklen, Peters Top Three Picks in 2012 WNBA Draft - WNBA
- New York Liberty Draft Kelley Cain and Katelan Redmon in 2012 WNBA Draft - New York Liberty
- Silver Stars Select Shenise Johnson with the No. 5 Pick in the 2012 Draft - San Antonio Stars
- Sparks Select Nnemkadi Ogwumike with First Pick in the 2012 WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Rebounders Goodlett and Hurt Chosen in WNBA Draft - Indiana Fever
- Washington Mystics Select Natalie Novosel & LaSondra Barrett - Washington Mystics
- Indiana Selects Goodlett with No. 11 Pick in WNBA Draft - Indiana Fever
- Lynx Select Devereaux Peters with the Third Overall Pick - Minnesota Lynx
- Sylvia Fowles Re-Signs with Chicago Sky - Chicago Sky
- Connecticut Sun Individual Tickets Now on Sale - Connecticut Sun
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Sky Stories
- Chicago Sky Select Diamond DeShields, Gabby Williams, DePaul Grad Amarah Coleman in 2018 WNBA Draft
- Chicago Sky Center Stefanie Dolson to Play in NBA All-Star Celebrity Game
- Postgame Notes and Quotes, Chicago 96 Dallas 99
- Chicago Sky Sign Shayla Cooper
- Jamierra Faulkner Sidelined with Injury