Charlotte FC Names Miguel Ángel Ramírez First Head Coach in Club History
CHARLOTTE - Charlotte FC has its head man.
The Club announced today that Spanish coach Miguel Ángel Ramírez will become the first head coach of Charlotte FC. His official hire is pending receipt of his work visa and he will officially begin his tenure in August.
Ramírez, 36, joins Charlotte FC after coaching Brazilian club Porto Alegre International in 2021, part of Brazil's top-flight Série A league.
Prior to International, Ramírez led the Ecuadorian club, Independiente del Valle for two seasons (2019-2020), capturing a Copa Sudamericana title just months into his first head coaching job in 2019.
Considered the second-most prestigious international competition in all of South America pitting many of the top clubs on the continent, the Copa Sudamericana tournament win was the first international title in Independiente's history, a significant accomplishment for a manager in his first true head coaching opportunity.
"I'm excited to introduce Miguel as the first head coach of Charlotte FC," said Owner David Tepper. "After a thorough review of many candidates, it was obvious to us that Miguel was the right person to lead our team. He is a process-oriented coach with a unique style of play and a proven ability to develop young talent. Those attributes set him apart from others. He will bring a winning culture to Charlotte FC and I can't wait for him to get started and for this club to take the pitch in 2022."
Ramírez' talent for player development was ingrained in all of that 2019 season's success in Ecuador. He had coached the club's youth team in 2018 and 2019, instilling the winning attitude that eventually led to the international win.
"With his charisma, passion for the game and experience in the Middle East, Europe and South America, Miguel will work to create an innovative, entertaining approach to soccer in the Carolinas," said Sporting Director Zoran Krneta. "In Miguel, we have found a very progressive and talented young coach, to take on the challenge of growing the team with a distinctive style of play, developing youth players and driving our vision forward."
A native of Las Palmas, Spain, Ramírez began to train as coach in the lower categories of the Union Deportiva Las Palmas and Deportivo Alaves, in Spain. He moved to Greece in 2011 with AEK FC, Panathinaikos and Olympiacos. Ramirez also spent six years at the Aspire Academy in Doha, Qatar, where he coached the Under-12, Under-13, Under-16 and Under-17 sides. He also served as head coach of the Under-17 and Under -14 Qatar national soccer teams and was assistant coach for the Under-19 side.
"I am honored to have the opportunity to work with Charlotte FC, its ownership group and senior management. Next year will be historic for the team and for all new and existing fans as we prepare toward a remarkable inaugural campaign," said Ramirez. "I am committed to create an entertaining, competitive club with talented young players and a unique style of play, as we build a stronger soccer culture from North to South Carolina."
Considered one of the top up-and-coming coaches in South America, Ramírez currently resides in Spain and will be relocating to Charlotte, N.C., this summer. A formal press conference will be held later in July.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 7, 2021
- Revolution Fall to Toronto FC, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Defeats Orlando City SC 3-1, Extends Unbeaten Streak to Three Games - Chicago Fire FC
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against Liga Deportiva Alajuelense in First Annual Capital Cup - D.C. United
- Perea Scores First Goal But Lions Fall at Chicago - Orlando City SC
- Notes & Quotes: CF Montreal 2 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Acquires Liga MX Striker Aké Loba - Nashville SC
- Timbers Acquire $230,000 in General Allocation Money from Nashville SC in Exchange for 2021 International Roster Slot - Portland Timbers
- Shy Carter to Perform National Anthem Before Thursday's Match - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Takes on Houston Dynamo FC at Lumen Field Tonight at 6:00 p.m. PT - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Daniel Aguirre, Acquire Defender Josh Drack on Short-Term Loan from LA Galaxy II - LA Galaxy
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Acquire 2021 International Roster Slot from FC Cincinnati in Exchange for $100,000 in General Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Inter Miami CF Signs U.S. Youth International Indiana Vassilev on Loan - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC to Face Tigres UANL in 2021 Leagues Cup Quarterfinals on August 10 - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York City FC to Open 2021 Leagues Cup against Liga MX's Pumas UNAM - New York City FC
- Orlando City SC to Host LIGA MX Side Santos Laguna in 2021 Leagues Cup - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC to Host Mexican Foe in Leagues Cup on August 10 - Sporting Kansas City
- Tigres, Pumas, León and Santos to Represent Liga MX against MLS at 2021 Leagues Cup - MLS
- #LAvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Atlanta United Announces Dimitrios Efstathiou as Vice President of Soccer Operations & Strategy - Atlanta United FC
- Pre-Match Party at Hard Rock Cafe Before Nashville SC vs Atlanta United FC Kicks Off - Nashville SC
- Charlotte FC Names Miguel Ángel Ramírez First Head Coach in Club History - Charlotte FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Continues Homestand against Atlanta United FC on Thursday - Nashville SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Road Stretch on Wednesday in Seattle - Houston Dynamo FC
- New York's Two-Match Homestand Begins with Philadelphia Union - New York Red Bulls
- The Pitch: MLS Players Prominent on Final Gold Cup Rosters - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte FC Stories
- Three Group Stage Takeaways for the US Men's National Team
- Charlotte FC to Compete in Second Annual Coachella Valley Invitational at Empire Polo Club in Indio, CA
- Karol Świderski Starts for Poland in FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 against Lionel Messi's Argentina
- Charlotte FC Sells Midfielder Jordy Alcívar to Independiente Del Valle
- Charlotte FC FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Watch Party: USA vs Wales