CF Montréal Rallies to Win over Atlanta
MONTREAL - CF Montréal came from behind to defeat Atlanta United FC 2-1, Saturday night at Stade Saputo. Heading into the FIFA international break, Montreal climbed into fifth spot in the Eastern Conference with 40 points. Romell Quioto scored his first career brace (50', 55'), while Atlanta's goal came from Jake Mulraney in the second half (48'). CF Montréal will resume its season against the Philadelphia Union at Stade Saputo on October 16 at 1pm (TVA Sports, TSN, 91.9 Sports, TSN 690).
-Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic recorded his 13th assist of the season on CF Montréal's equalizer, tying the MLS Club record set by Nacho Piatti.
-Since returning from injury, forward Romell Quioto has tallied six goals and two assists in his last seven games.
"The win feels good. Seven games in 21 days was heavy. We played against good teams and finishing with a win at home will be good for everyone. The players will come back much fresher after the break, and we'll go on to another big stretch of games. The guys deserve this break. Atlanta had the ball longer than us, but the players defended well against a very good team. The players found the necessary resources, they didn't give up. Today they found a way to win. The opponent gave us a lot of problems, but they found a way to win."
"It was an important game for us, a six-point game. We approached this one as a playoff match. We wanted to show that what happened on Wednesday was just a bad performance. I told the guys to take our frustration from last game and bring it with us to the game tonight."
"One of the things about this group is we understand situations. It was important that we got our minds right. We forgot about Wednesday against New England. We put all our focus into this game. We knew Atlanta was in good form. It was the same situation as Columbus where a win would give us breathing room and a loss would put us in a difficult spot. The most important thing is the team. My job is to create as many chances as I can. Statistics just say I'm doing my job. If I give everything mentally and physically, then I'll have no regrets. I knew I had to give everything for this team."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 2, 2021
- Red Bulls Defeat FC Cincinnati 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas and Minnesota United FC Split Points in Scoreless Draw - FC Dallas
- CF Montréal Rallies to Win over Atlanta - Club de Foot Montreal
- MNUFC Draw 0-0 at FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Daryl Dike's Stoppage Time Stunner Sends Orlando City Past DC United - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to CF Montreal 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Austin FC Defeats Real Salt Lake, 2-1 - Austin FC
- Sounders FC Returns Home to Take on the Colorado Rapids - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Fall Short at Austin in 1-2 Loss - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- National Soccer Hall of Fame Inducts 2020, 2021 Classes - FC Dallas
- Preview: Rapids Visit Seattle in Clash for Western Conference SupremacyÃÂ ÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Carlos Bocanegra Inducted into National Soccer Hall of Fame - Atlanta United FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Travels to NYCFC for Pivotal Eastern Conference ClashÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Travel to Kansas City Prior to International Break - Houston Dynamo FC
- Nashville SC Announces Three More International Call-Ups Ahead of World Cup Qualifiers - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew Announces Call-Ups for October International Window - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- CF Montréal Selects Jojea Kwizera and Ivy Brisma at the 2022 MLS SuperDraft
- Return Leg against Santos Laguna at Olympic Stadium Changed to 8pm
- CF Montréal to Resume Training on Wednesday at Olympic Stadium
- FC Loro and the Saint-Lazare/Hudson Soccer Club Renew Partnerships with CF Montréal
- Goalkeeper Sebastian Breza Returns on Loan for 2022