Cedar Rapids Evens Series with 2-1 Win over Bandits
Davenport, IA - The Cedar Rapids Kernels evened a first round playoff series with the Quad Cities River Bandits by earning a 2-1 road win on Thursday night at Modern Woodmen Park. The series will move to a decisive game three on Friday night at 6:35 p.m. The winner will meet the Clinton LumberKings in the Western Division Championship Series.
In another low-scoring showdown on the mound featuring Brett Daniels and Matt Canterino, Cedar Rapids struck first. Wander Javier lined a triple over the head of Ramiro Rodriguez in center field with one out to put the Kernels in a good position. Daniels then hit Seth Gray with an 0-2 pitch before striking out DaShawn Keirsey Jr. for the second out. He also jumped in front of Tyler Webb 0-2, but the left fielder lined a fastball into right field to score Javier and put the Kernels in front 1-0.
Canterino was perfect through 4.2 innings against the Bandits lineup. With two outs in the fifth inning, Trey Dawson was able to punch a base hit into center to give the River Bandits their first base runner of the game. He advanced to second on a wild pitch before scoring on an RBI single by Alex McKenna to even the game at 1-1.
The inning that pushed the Kernels over the top was the seventh. With one down, Webb and Jared Akins hit back-to-back doubles to put the Kernels back in the lead 2-1. That score held up the rest of the way as Dylan Thomas and Rickey Ramirez closed the door out of the bullpen.
The Kernels received two of their five hits off the bat of Webb. The River Bandits collected only three hits, all of them singles. Daniels took the loss despite striking out 10 in 6.1 innings. He allowed two runs and scattered five hits. Felipe Tejada worked 2.2 perfect innings out of the bullpen.
Game three will get underway at 6:35 p.m. in Davenport on Friday night. RHP Matt Ruppenthal (5-7, 4.33) will get the baseball for the River Bandits. Cedar Rapids will turn to RHP Josh Winder (7-2, 2.65).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 5, 2019
- South Bend Cubs Advance to Division Championship - South Bend Cubs
- Captains Survive, Force Game Three - Lake County Captains
- Cedar Rapids Evens Series with 2-1 Win over Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Walters throws 7 no-hit innings as Clinton sinks Cougars with 10-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Extend Quarterfinals with 2-1 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Blow Lead in Ninth, Watch Season End with 7-4 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- It's Now Winner Take All - Great Lakes Loons
- Peyton Burdick Named MWL Player of the Month - MWL
- Future Stars, Baseball, and New Promotions Highlight Snappers Fun-Filled 2019 Season - Beloit Snappers
- Cubs Start Playoffs with 2-1 Win over Hot Rods - South Bend Cubs
- Three-Run Homers Carry Clinton to Game One Win - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Movies at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits and Genesis Team up on COVID-19 T-Shirt
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park