Canaries, Cats Swap Bullpen Pitchers
SIOUX FALLS, SD (February 4, 2009) - The Sioux Falls Canaries have traded right-handed relief pitcher Kelly Casares to the Fort Worth Cats in exchange for another right-handed relief pitcher, Matt Reilly. Reilly, a native of Plano, TX with no relation to Canaries First Baseman Patrick Reilly, went 2-3 with one save and a 2.94 ERA in 34 appearances during the 2008 season.
"Kelly did a good job for us the last two seasons, and giving him up allows us to get another good pitcher in return from Fort Worth," said Canaries Manager Steve Shirley. "Matt Reilly is the type of pitcher who fits into what we are looking for in our bullpen. He has had success in independent baseball, he has the ability to do all the jobs in the bullpen, and he has a reputation as a hard-worker."
Prior to pitching for the Cats in 2008, Reilly played for the Brockton Rox of the Can-Am League in 2007. Reilly was 3-2 with a 1.86 ERA in 28 appearances for the Rox, before being traded to Fort Worth prior to the 2008 season. Reilly finished the 2008 season strong, going 1-0 with a 0.66 ERA in eight August appearances. In the final month of the season, Reilly held opponents to a .212 batting average in 13.2 innings pitched.
In a separate trade, the Canaries sent outfielder Kennard Bibbs to the El Paso Diablos to complete the August 9 trade that brought outfielder J.D. Reininger to the Canaries. Bibbs hit .267 with three home runs and 29 RBI in 56 games for the Canaries. Reininger, who was signed to a 2009 contract by the Canaries on December 10, hit .392 with five home runs and 11 RBI in 12 games with the Birds.
The Canaries will open the 2009 American Association Season at the Birdcage with a May 14 game against the St. Paul Saints. The Season Premier will feature a Pre-Game Championship Ring Ceremony and a Post-Game Fireworks Display presented by the Canaries 2009 Season Sponsor, First PREMIER Bank and PREMIER Bankcard.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from February 4, 2009
- Vince Moore named Captains Bench Coach - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Cities 97 and KFAN Warm Up Crispin Ice Ball Adventure Series - St. Paul Saints
- Familiar Face, Former All-Star Back in Pels Uniform - Pensacola Pelicans
- Canaries Scout Induction Covered By Mlb.com - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Diablos to Hold Local Tryouts - El Paso Diablos
- Canaries, Cats Swap Bullpen Pitchers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs' McGill Sold to Chicago Cubs - AA
- McGill Acquired by Cubs Organization - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.