Familiar Face, Former All-Star Back in Pels Uniform
Come the first day of the Pensacola Pelicans spring training, a familiar, fan favorite will be suited up in a Pelicans uniform preparing for the 2009 season. The Pelicans announce today the signing of left-handed hitting and throwing Marcos Rodriguez.
Rodriguez played for the Pelicans back in 2007 in which he batted a career best .321 with 52 runs scored, 15 doubles, two triples, three homeruns, 25 walks, and 45 RBI. His best game came on August 1 against the then Shreveport Sports where he batted a perfect five-for-five with a double, triple, three RBI, and five runs scored. He also walked once and stole a base. After the season, the opposing managers and media voted Rodriguez to the American Association post-season south division all-star team.
"We are glad to have Marcos returning to the Pelicans. He is a great addition," said Pelicans GM Talmadge Nunnari. "He is a proven player in this league and he adds great depth to the line-up."
Rodriguez received two other post-season awards that year voted on by his piers. He was named the 2007 Pelicans Player of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year at the Pelicans annual fan and player award luncheon.
Prior to his first Pelican stint, Rodriguez played first base and outfield in the MLB St. Louis Cardinals organization. His career batting average is .284 with 150 runs scored, 51 doubles, ten triples, nine homeruns, and 145 RBI.
The Pelicans roster now sits at 23 players for spring training: nine pitchers, one catcher, seven infielders, and six outfielders.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from February 4, 2009
- Vince Moore named Captains Bench Coach - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Cities 97 and KFAN Warm Up Crispin Ice Ball Adventure Series - St. Paul Saints
- Familiar Face, Former All-Star Back in Pels Uniform - Pensacola Pelicans
- Canaries Scout Induction Covered By Mlb.com - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Diablos to Hold Local Tryouts - El Paso Diablos
- Canaries, Cats Swap Bullpen Pitchers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saltdogs' McGill Sold to Chicago Cubs - AA
- McGill Acquired by Cubs Organization - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Pelicans Stories
- News from Northwest Florida Professional Baseball LLC.
- Pensacola Baseball Sells 500th Season Ticket
- Pels Training Academy Hosts 7th & 8th Grade Prep Skill Camp
- Pensacola Home to Minor League Baseball Team in 2012
- Palmisano named to Baseball America first team Independent Baseball team