Canadians Take Series Finale In Boise With 5-4 Win
(Memorial Stadium - Boise, ID) - After giving up an early three run lead, the Vancouver Canadians (17-12) managed to bounce back for a 5-4 victory over the Boise Hawks (10-20) to take the rubber match of a five game series on Sunday evening out at Memorial Stadium.
Vancouver's offense got going early with LF Matt Newman hitting his first of two home runs on the night as the former Arizona State Sun Devils slammed his 2nd home run of the summer in the top of the 2nd inning off of Boise starter RHP Felix Pena that scored Canadians 1B Jordan Leyland to give the C's a 3-0 lead.
Boise would grab the next four runs of the ballgame with a pair of runs in the bottom of the 4th and again in the bottom of the 5th inning. The Hawks would take the lead when 3B Jeimer Candelario hit a single off of Canadians reliever LHP Kyle Anderson that cashed in SS Marco Hernandez to give Boise a 4-3 lead.
The Canadians would tie the game seconds later when LF Matt Newman hit his second home run of the game off of Boise reliever LHP Wellington Cruz, a solo shot that made it 4-4.
Vancouver would complete the comeback in the top of the 7th inning when DH Jorge Flores doubled with one out, advanced to third base on a ground out from RF Nick Baligod and scored on a wild pitch from LHP Wellington Cruz who took the loss with the curve ball that skipped past C Lance Rymel giving the Canadians a 5-4 lead as Flores scored from third base.
Notes: Vancouver starter RHP Taylor Cole returned after missing his past two scheduled starts to go three innings of hitless baseball, walking three in his first start since June 24th... Boise 2B Gioskar Amaya left the game after getting hit in the helmet by a RHP Taylor Cole pitch to lead off the bottom of the 1st inning... Blue Jays 1st Rounder RHP Marcus Stroman would make his second appearance of the summer going 2/3 of an inning allowing a pair of earned runs on two hits and a walk. Stroman would strike out a pair of hitters as well before reaching his pitch limit of 25.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 15, 2012
- Canadians Take Series Finale In Boise With 5-4 Win - Vancouver Canadians
- Bears Survive Battle Of The Bullpens - Yakima Bears
- Sox Blanked by Dust Devils, 7-0 - Everett AquaSox
- Sox Take Game 1 over Tri-City, 6-3 - Everett AquaSox
- Stellar Sadzeck Flirts with No-Hitter as Indians Fall in Extras to Emeralds 3-1 - Spokane Indians
- Bears win seventh-straight series - Yakima Bears
- Frogs Win Game 2 against Dust Devils, 5-1 - Everett AquaSox
- Boise Hawks end two-game losing streak - Boise Hawks
- Vancouver topped 9-3 out at Memorial Stadium; losing grip on 1st half pennant chase - Vancouver Canadians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Canadians Stories
- Canadians Baron Receives 3rd Consecutive Sports Turf Manager of the Year Award
- Robertson Named NWL Player of the Week
- C's Swept in Season Finale; Fall 3-1 to Everett
- C's Fall 11-3 in Everett on Sunday Afternoon
- C's Just Can't Catch Everett; Fall 5-3 on Saturday