Canadian International Midfielder Kyle Bekker Joins North Carolina FC
CARY, N.C. (Feb. 6, 2018) - North Carolina FC has added a talented piece to its midfield with the addition of Canadian International and former San Francisco Deltas player Kyle Bekker, pending league and federation approval.
"First of all, we're delighted to get Kyle signed," said North Carolina FC Head Coach Colin Clarke. "He's an experienced player who has played with the Canadian National Team. He has several years of MLS experience and he's coming off a season where he won the NASL Championship with San Francisco. He has the leadership quality we're looking for and is a proven winner. He's someone who I feel will be one of the best midfielders in this league, and is an important signing for the club. We're expecting Kyle to come in and be a big part for the club in this year's USL season."
Bekker boasts a lengthy resume filled with MLS and international playing experience. He has made stops with Toronto FC, FC Dallas and the Montreal Impact of Major League Soccer, while earning regular minutes with the Canadian National Team since 2013.
"I'm very excited to meet all the boys and get to work," said Bekker. "I think we've got a solid core group of experienced players who know the type of league and have played at a high level. We also have a solid group of exciting and dangerous young players. If we can build that winning culture throughout the locker room early on, there is no doubt we can do something special this season."
Bekker joins the club following one season in San Francisco where he helped the Deltas capture the 2017 NASL Championship. In 2017, he logged 2,179 minutes in 30 NASL matches. The experienced midfielder was a key contributor for the squad and scored three goals adding a team-high four assists.
Following a standout career with Boston College, the midfielder was selected third overall in the MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC in 2013 to begin his professional career. During his two years in Toronto, Bekker played 2,037 minutes of MLS action before being traded to FC Dallas. After a short stint in Dallas, he was traded again, ending up with the Montreal Impact in July of 2015. In his two years at the club, Bekker made 21 appearances, logged 1,317 minutes and scored two goals for the side in MLS play.
Bekker has also made his mark for the Canadian National Team. Since his first call up to the squad in 2013, the Oakville, Ontario native has appeared 18 times for his country, making 10 starts. He has contributed two assists for the national team and was listed as a part of the 23-man squad that participated in the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Bekker adds a big piece to North Carolina FC's USL roster that includes, goalkeepers Austin Guerrero and George Marks, defenders Wuilito Fernandes, Michael Harrington, Peabo Doue, Steven Miller, D.J. Taylor and Connor Tobin, midfielders Nelson Blanco, Austin da Luz, Dre Fortune, Marcel Kandziora, Ebe Kudolo and Bernhard Luxbacher and forward Marios Lomis.
North Carolina FC season tickets are now on sale and feature the newest membership benefit - Beer for the Year. Fans who opt in to the added membership bonus by March 1 will receive one free Lonerider North Carolina Football Club Captain's Ale at every regular-season home match for no added cost. To purchase season tickets, sign up for Beer for the Year or ask questions regarding the home opener, please call the North Carolina FC office at 919-459-8144 to speak with a ticket representative. For more information about the club, visit NorthCarolinaFC.com.
Name: Kyle Bekker
Birthdate: 9/2/1990 (Age 27)
Birthplace: Oakville, Ontario
Weight: 165 lbs
College: Boston College
Previous Club: San Francisco Deltas
Transaction: North Carolina FC has signed Kyle Bekker.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 6, 2018
- Sacramento Republic FC Sign Goalkeeper Rafael Diaz - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County SC Re-Signs Goalkeeper Casey Beyers for 2018 Season - Orange County SC
- Energy FC Add Real Madrid Youth System Alumnus Jaime Siaj to Roster for 2018 - OKC Energy FC
- NYRB II Defender Andrew Lombard Undergoes Surgery - New York Red Bulls II
- Canadian International Midfielder Kyle Bekker Joins North Carolina FC - North Carolina FC
- Ayoze Garcia Perez, Eugene Starikov Sign with Indy Eleven - Indy Eleven
- Switchbacks Announce Next Round of Signings - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- FCC Unveils Home Match Times; Individual Game Tickets, Packages Available February 12 - FC Cincinnati
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Darnell King - San Antonio FC
- Atlanta United 2 Adds Four Players to Inaugural Roster - Atlanta United 2
- Gibson Suffers Injury, Scheduled for Surgery - FC Cincinnati
- Roughnecks Ink Goalkeeper Chase Gentry - FC Tulsa
- USL's Week Ahead: Preseason Opens with Historic Contests - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- Cancelation of USL League Two 2020 Season Affects NCFC U23 Development Team
- Eight NC Courage and NCFC Players to be Featured on New 'Possession' Larry's Coffee Bags
- NC Courage and North Carolina FC Players Head up #SponsorToGoWeek to Help Club Partners
- Historic North Carolina FC, NC Courage Matches to Air on Capitol Broadcasting, YouTube
- North Carolina FC Statement on Extended Suspension of USL Championship Season