San Antonio FC Signs Defender Darnell King
SAN ANTONIO, TX (Feb. 6, 2018) - San Antonio FC has signed defender Darnell King for the 2018 USL season, pending league and federation approval the club announced today. King joins SAFC after previously spending his entire professional career with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers and Tampa Bay Rowdies.
King appeared in 24 matches, making 23 starts and compiling 2,071 minutes for the Rowdies last season as he helped lead the club to a third-place finish in the Eastern Conference. King added an assist, 66 interceptions and a team-leading 61 tackles in his third year with the club. He also played 210 total minutes in two postseason matches with Tampa Bay. Overall in his three seasons with the Rowdies from 2015-17, King made 83 appearances (80 starts) in all competitions and totaled over 7,000 minutes.
"We are excited for Darnell to join San Antonio FC for 2018," said SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell. "He is an experienced right-back that has played in many high-level games, and we are looking for him to continue his good run of form here in San Antonio."
Prior to joining the Rowdies, King spent three seasons with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL) from 2012-14. The 27-year-old helped lead the Strikers to the 2014 NASL Championship at Toyota Field where they fell to the now-defunct San Antonio Scorpions. Following the 2014 season, King was named to the NASL Best XI after he ended the season with 25 appearances, 2,250 minutes, two goals and four assists. Overall during his time with the Strikers, King made 73 appearances for the club, scoring six goals.
"I am excited to start a new journey here in San Antonio," said King. "Hopefully I can bring my attributes and my talents here and help the team out. The guys have been very welcoming and great professionals, and I have always loved playing here at Toyota Field, so I am excited to play every home game here. This is a strong team, so I am glad to be joining them and hopefully we can bring a championship to San Antonio."
King attended Florida Atlantic University and played four years of collegiate soccer from 2008-11, scoring 17 goals and recording 10 assists in 62 total appearances. The Tampa Bay native led the Owls in points in his sophomore, junior and senior seasons. King also appeared in the NASL 2012 NASL Combine prior to being signed by the Strikers.
The club also announced today that it has mutually agreed to part ways with defender-midfielder Mark O'Ojong so that he can tend to personal matters in Cameroon.
Following both transactions, the SAFC roster currently stands at 20. King will wear No. 2 for the club.
San Antonio FC is currently preparing for the upcoming USL season, which kicks off on March 17 in Sacramento prior to the SAFC home opener on March 24 at Toyota Field vs. Saint Louis FC. Fans can purchase 2018 season tickets by calling the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5MLS or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook, as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC), Instagram (@sanantoniofc) and Snapchat (SanAntonioFC).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 6, 2018
- Sacramento Republic FC Sign Goalkeeper Rafael Diaz - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County SC Re-Signs Goalkeeper Casey Beyers for 2018 Season - Orange County SC
- Energy FC Add Real Madrid Youth System Alumnus Jaime Siaj to Roster for 2018 - OKC Energy FC
- NYRB II Defender Andrew Lombard Undergoes Surgery - New York Red Bulls II
- Canadian International Midfielder Kyle Bekker Joins North Carolina FC - North Carolina FC
- Ayoze Garcia Perez, Eugene Starikov Sign with Indy Eleven - Indy Eleven
- Switchbacks Announce Next Round of Signings - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- FCC Unveils Home Match Times; Individual Game Tickets, Packages Available February 12 - FC Cincinnati
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Darnell King - San Antonio FC
- Atlanta United 2 Adds Four Players to Inaugural Roster - Atlanta United 2
- Gibson Suffers Injury, Scheduled for Surgery - FC Cincinnati
- Roughnecks Ink Goalkeeper Chase Gentry - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- USL's Week Ahead: Preseason Opens with Historic Contests - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- Toyota Field to Host Tigres UANL and Club Atletico de San Luis in Exhibition Match
- San Antonio FC Plays to 1-1 Draw Away at LA Galaxy II
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face LA Galaxy II as Playoff Push Continues
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- San Antonio FC Earns Crucial 3-1 Win at Home to OKC Energy FC