Cam Payne Campaigns in the Capital
AUSTIN, TX, (Mar. 3, 2020) - The Texas Legends (23-18) used another 30+ point performance from Cameron Payne to help lead the team to a barnstorming victory over the Austin Spurs (22-17) 124-119.
Payne opened the game with a long jumper for Texas to take the first lead and set the tone for an 18-point quarter from the defending G League Player of the Week. Dakota Mathias, who finished 6-of-8 outside started his counting early with a follow-up to Payne's. Texas was hitting 67% outside and used a Josh Perkins three to take a double-digit lead (+11) with just under three minutes in the quarter, but Austin finished on a 10-3 run to the buzzer to make it a four-point game going into the second. The home team's rally continued as they took over the second quarter, building their largest lead of the night (+10) with eight unanswered points mid-way through. Texas fought to come within one, but Kenny Williams had the final word at the half to put the Spurs up 55-52 heading into the locker room.
The home team held on to a close lead through the first minutes of the third before the Texas threes started raining again. With five triples in four minutes, Texas regained the lead and built a nine-point gap, then knocked down three more in under a minute to make it a 13-point game. Jaylen Hoard grabbed the first points of the fourth to give the Legends their largest lead of the night (+15) seconds in. Austin closed in quickly and pulled within one near the three-minute mark, but Payne put up seven straight points to close the polls and give Texas the victory.
Payne finished 16-of-26 and 5-of-9 outside for a game-high 38 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists. Mathias added 25 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists. Antonius Cleveland tagged on 14 points, 4 rebounds, and Josh Perkins added 12 points, 4 rebounds off the bench. Josh Reaves put up 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists, and Chad Brown grabbed a game-high 8 rebounds, 2 blocks.
Chimezie Metu led the Spurs with 36 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks. Dedric Lawson hit 5-of-7 outside to add 26 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Galen Robinson Jr. posted 20 points, 5 rebounds, and a game-high 7 assists, and Kenny Williams and Jordan Green added 14 and 12 points respectively.
Texas heads to Ontario next to take on the Agua Caliente Clippers in a two-game stand Friday at 9pm CT and Sunday at 5pm CT. Fans can catch all the action live on www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 4, 2020
- Long Island Nets Defeat Delaware for Third-Straight Victory - Long Island Nets
- Hustle Unable to Overcome Slow Start, Fall to Oklahoma City 121-113 in Wednesday Matinee - Memphis Hustle
- Cavaliers Sign Sir'Dominic Pointer to 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Wisconsin Herd Celebrates Local Heroes with Second Annual Boots vs. Badges Game - Wisconsin Herd
- Lakeland Magic & Florida Tropics Present: Lakeland Sports Weekend - Lakeland Magic
- Charge Tame Herd in Double OT - Canton Charge
- Herd's Three-Game Winning Streak Ends in Double Overtime Thriller - Wisconsin Herd
- Windy City Falls at Home to Raptors 905, 113-96 - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs to Host Go Texas Night and Hoops N Hounds Games this Weekend - Austin Spurs
- Phoenix Suns Assign Ty Jerome to Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- College Park Skyhawks Join College Park Elementary for 'Read Across America Day' - College Park Skyhawks
- Cam Payne Campaigns in the Capital - Texas Legends
- Austin Spurs Fall to Texas Legends 124-119 - Austin Spurs
- Rodriguez's Huge Dunk Overshadowed by Late Loss to Kings - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Legends Stories
- PRJKT VET Logo to Go on Legends' Court
- Legends Build "ConNEXTions" Youth Mentorship Program
- Texas Pro Sports Teams and Civic Organizations Unite with #TexasTeamUp Campaign to Encourage Voter Turnout in the Lone Star State
- Legends' Home Comerica Center to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Legends Host Voter Registration Event Sep. 22nd