Long Island Nets Defeat Delaware for Third-Straight Victory
LONG ISLAND - The Long Island Nets (19-21), the NBA G League affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets, defeated the Delaware Blue Coats (21-19) 124-108 tonight at NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Brooklyn Nets forward/center Nicolas Claxton, while on assignment with Long Island, led the way with a career-high 34 points on 10-of-16 shooting from the field, 3-of-5 shooting from 3-point range and 7-of-8 shooting from the charity stripe to go with nine rebounds and four assists in 28 minutes of action. Fellow Brooklyn assignee Dzanan Musa finished the game with 20 points, including shooting a perfect 4-of-4 from the free throw line, and added 10 rebounds, four assists and a steal in 32 minutes of play, recording his second double-double of the season.
Long Island center John Egbunu continued his strong play since returning from injury, recording 13 points on 6-of-9 shooting from the field to go along with five rebounds, an assist, a steal and two blocks in just 10 minutes off the bench.
Delaware guard Xavier Munford finished the contest with a game-high 36 points on 13-of-22 shooting from the field and 6-of-9 shooting from 3-point range to go with six rebounds, four assists and two steals in 36 minutes of play. Blue Coats forward Marial Shayok finished with 22 points, 12 rebounds and four assists in 36 minutes of action, recording a double-double in the loss.
The two teams went back-and-forth to start the contest, opening with a 15-15 tie through 4:58 of the first quarter. The Blue Coats managed to take a narrow three-point advantage into the second quarter, leading 33-30.
Delaware took control of the game to start the second quarter, taking a 12-point lead with 5:44 left in the half. Long Island would answer back, cutting the lead to five points before a last-second basket by the Blue Coats gave Delaware a 64-57 lead to end the half.
Long Island came out hot to start the second half, outscoring the Blue Coats 20-4 over the opening 4:12 of the third quarter. The Nets would continue their dominance over the remainder of the third, outscoring Delaware 37-20 in the quarter and taking a 94-84 lead into the fourth.
Long Island carried its strong play over into the final quarter, extending the lead to as many as 20 points. The Nets would go on to outscore the Blue Coats 67-44 overall in the second half en route to a 124-108 victory.
The Nets play their next game against the Lakeland Magic on Friday, March 6, at 7 p.m. ET at NYCB LIVE, while the Blue Coats will take on the Raptors 905 next on Saturday, March 7, at 2 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 4, 2020
- Long Island Nets Defeat Delaware for Third-Straight Victory - Long Island Nets
- Hustle Unable to Overcome Slow Start, Fall to Oklahoma City 121-113 in Wednesday Matinee - Memphis Hustle
- Cavaliers Sign Sir'Dominic Pointer to 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Wisconsin Herd Celebrates Local Heroes with Second Annual Boots vs. Badges Game - Wisconsin Herd
- Lakeland Magic & Florida Tropics Present: Lakeland Sports Weekend - Lakeland Magic
- Charge Tame Herd in Double OT - Canton Charge
- Herd's Three-Game Winning Streak Ends in Double Overtime Thriller - Wisconsin Herd
- Windy City Falls at Home to Raptors 905, 113-96 - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs to Host Go Texas Night and Hoops N Hounds Games this Weekend - Austin Spurs
- Phoenix Suns Assign Ty Jerome to Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- College Park Skyhawks Join College Park Elementary for 'Read Across America Day' - College Park Skyhawks
- Cam Payne Campaigns in the Capital - Texas Legends
- Austin Spurs Fall to Texas Legends 124-119 - Austin Spurs
- Rodriguez's Huge Dunk Overshadowed by Late Loss to Kings - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Nets Stories
- Justin Anderson Named to All-NBA G League Third Team
- Long Island Ends Three-Game Homestand with Loss to Greensboro
- Long Island Nets Fall to Lakeland Despite Second Half Comeback
- Long Island Nets to Host Nassau County AA Boys and Girls Basketball Championships this Sunday, March 8
- Long Island Nets Defeat Delaware for Third-Straight Victory