Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Wednesday, April 10 vs. Edmonton
CALGARY HITMEN vs. EDMONTON OIL KINGS
Game 4 of Best-of-Seven Eastern Conference Semi-Final. Oil Kings leads series 3-0.
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 - 7:00 p.m. MT - Scotiabank Saddledome
The Calgary Hitmen host the Edmonton Oil Kings tonight in Game 4 of their best-of-seven WHL Eastern Conference Semi-Final series. It's a 7:00 p.m. start at Scotiabank Saddledome for the second of back-to-back games at the 'Dome featuring $2 playoff concession specials. Hot dogs, regular popcorn and 24 oz. soft drinks are all available for $2 each. The Oil Kings lead the series 3-0 after last night's 2-1 overtime victory in Calgary. Defenceman Wyatt McLeod scored the game winner 2:46 into sudden death. Mark Kastelic forced the extra session for Calgary on the power play, tipping in the tying goal with 1:07 remaining in the third period. After a scoreless first period, Edmonton's lone goal in regulation came off the stick of Zach Russell in the middle frame. Both goalies were named game stars with Jack McNaughton making 27 saves in the Hitmen net and Dylan Myskiw recording 24 stops in the Oil Kings crease.
Radio: Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Webcast: WHL Live at whl.neulion.com
- Mark Kastelic (5g, 3a) has points in five of his last six games.
- Carson Focht (1g, 1a) and James Malm (2a) both have points in back-to-back games.
- Egor Zamula (3a) saw his three-game point streak snapped in Game 3.
2019 WHL Playoffs: Round 2 Schedule:
The Hitmen and Oil Kings second round playoff series is a 2-2-1-1-1 format.
Game 1 EDM 3 CGY 2 OT EDM leads series 1-0 Rogers Place, Edmonton
Game 2 EDM 4 CGY 1 EDM leads series 2-0 Rogers Place, Edmonton
Game 3 EDM 2 CGY 1 OT EDM leads series 3-0 Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary
Game 4 Wednesday, April 10 7:00 p.m. Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary
Game 5* Friday, April 12 7:00 p.m. Rogers Place, Edmonton
Game 6* Sunday, April 14 2:00 p.m. Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary
Game 7* Tuesday, April 16 7:00 p.m. Rogers Place, Edmonton
SERIES STATS: There has only been one goal in the first period...Edmonton has outshot Calgary in all three games by a combined 102-74...The Hitmen are 3-11 on the power play, the Oil Kings 1-15. Two of the three games have been decided in overtime.
SERIES SHOT CLOCK: Mark Kastelic leads all Hitmen players with 12 shots on goal against Edmonton. Carson Focht is next with nine while James Malm and Kaden Elder both have six. Trey Fix-Wolansky tops all Oil Kings with 13 shots on goal. Andrew Fyten is next with 12 while Conner McDonald, Matthew Robertson and Jake Neighbours all have eight shots.
FACE-OFF CIRCLE: Calgary is a combined 105-185 on draws in the series, clicking at 56.8%. Mark Kastelic leads the way with 54 face-off wins.
GAME 4 FACTS: The Hitmen are 29-15 all-time in Game 4's. They defeated Lethbridge in Game 4 of the opening round at home by a score of 5-2. Jack McNaughton made 37 saves while Riley Stotts (1g, 2a) and Ryder Korczak (3a) recorded three points each.
PLAYOFF HISTORY: 2019 marks the third time in league history the Hitmen and Oil Kings square off in a playoff series. Both teams have won once
2009: CGY 4 EDM 0 - Hitmen led by Joel Broda (7pts), Brandon Kozun (5pts) and Martin Jones .73 GAA
2013: EDM 4 CGY 3 - Oil Kings led by Michael St. Croix (10pts), Martin Gernat (7pts) and Laurent Brossoit 2.39 GAA
WELCOME BACK: Jake Kryski returned to the Calgary line-up in Game 3 marking his first action since Jan. 11 in Saskatoon. The 20-year-old missed a total of 36 games due to injury, 27 in the regular season and nine more in the playoffs. Last night was his 12th career playoff game.
PLAYOFF DATA: This trip to the Eastern Conference Semi-Final marks Calgary's first time past the opening round of the WHL Playoffs since 2015. Calgary has a lifetime playoff record of 135-111. The Hitmen have competed in 44 series prior to this one. They have won 27 and lost 17. Calgary is 30-23 all-time in post-season overtime games.
STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: Five Hitmen are on NHL rosters heading into the post-season. They include: Jake Bean (CAR), Michael Stone (CGY), Andrew Ladd (NYI), Johnny Boychuk (NYI) and Martin Jones (SJS).
DID YOU KNOW?: Mark Kastelic and Carson Focht share the Hitmen lead in playoff scoring with nine points each. They are the highest scoring Hitmen post-season performers since Adam Tambellini and Travis Sanheim both tallied 13 points 2015.
IMPACT CLIMB: Jack McNaughton's 302 saves this post season already has the rookie goalie eighth in franchise history for most career playoff saves. Mack Shields with 328 and Brady Block at 334 are both within striking distance. Martin Jones owns top spot at 1073.
ON THIS DAY: The last time the Hitmen played a playoff game on April 10 was in the 2015 post season. That night goaltender Mack Shields was the first start in a 3-1 Calgary win in Medicine Hat as the Tigers outshot the Hitmen 34-14 in the loss. Connor Rankin, Jake Virtanen and Chase Lang supplied the Calgary goals with Virtanen and Lang also adding assists. The victory gave Calgary a 1-0 lead in their best-of-seven second round series. The Hitmen went on to win the series in seven games as Travis Sanheim scored in double overtime of the clinching game at the 'Dome.
PROSPECT WATCH: Zac Funk, Calgary's second-round pick, 43rd overall, in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft has been named to the BC Major Midget League All-Star Team. The 15-year-old forward tallied 58 points (34g, 24a) in 38 games this season with the Fraser Valley Thunderbirds. Those numbers saw Funk not only lead his team in scoring but finish fourth in league scoring. He also added seven points (6g, 1a) in six playoff games.
& TICKET INFO
- Hitmen playoff tickets are on sale and can be purchased through Ticketmaster.ca, HitmenHockey.com or at the Scotiabank Saddledome Box Office.
- Single game tickets start at $22.49 for adults, $12.99 for kids 12 and under and group tickets for $13.99 plus applicable fees and taxes.
- Also available is the Calgary Co-op Family Playoff Pack which includes four tickets, four hot hogs, four soft drinks and one popcorn for $74.99. This deal can be purchased at all Calgary Co-op locations.
- Home games this round feature $2 playoff concession specials. Hot dogs, regular popcorn and 24 oz. soft drinks are all available for $2 each.
- The Hitmen have a combined 329 games of playoff experience.
- Kaden Elder leads all players with 56 post-season games played. He also tops the Hitmen in career playoff points with 15. Luke Coleman and Mark Kastelic are next with 11 points.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 10, 2019
- Game 4 Preview - Saskatoon Blades
- Four Ams Alumni Set for 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Tri-City Americans
- Media Release - Hurricanes Sign Ashe - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Eight Alumni to Compete for Stanley Cup - Kelowna Rockets
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Wednesday, April 10 vs. Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Giants Push Royals to the Brink of Elimination After a 5-4 OT Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Shutout Raiders in Game Three - Saskatoon Blades
- Royals Fall to Giants in Overtime in Game 3 - Victoria Royals
- Hitmen on Brink after OT Loss - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Calgary Hitmen Stories
- Hitmen Make 10 Picks in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft
- Hitmen Select Grayden Siepmann 13th Overall in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft
- Hitmen Make Major Trade at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft
- Hitmen Own Two of the Top 13 Picks in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft
- NHL Central Scouting Lists Three Hitmen Among Top Skaters for 2019 NHL Draft