Giants Push Royals to the Brink of Elimination After a 5-4 OT Victory
Victoria, B.C. - Tuesday night in Victoria the Vancouver Giants proved to be a resilient foe. Three different times they trailed and three different times they fought their way back en route to a 5-4 overtime victory over the Victoria Royals. Owen Hardy's second goal of the game at 13:34 of overtime helped cement the 5-4 victory for the Giants. Other goals came courtesy of Jared Dmytriw, Milos Roman and Alex Kannok Leipert. Bowen Byram added two assists. Mitchell Prowse (1G, 1A) and Scott Walford (2A) each had two points for the Royals who got 52 saves from Griffen Outhouse. The Giants got 16 saves in response from Trent Miner who improved to 4-1 in the playoffs. The Giants will now look to earn a berth in Round 3 of the playoffs with a victory Thursday night in Game 4.
VAN - At 3:32 of the first, Giants captain Jared Dmytriw (3) potted his second goal of the series off a rebound. Evan Patrician and Dallas Hines both assisted.
VIC - Back came the Royals at 9:10 when Scott Walford's point shot was tipped home by Sean Gulka who parked himself in front of Trent Miner. Gulka's second of the playoffs was also assisted by Tarun Fizer.
VIC - With 29 seconds left in the first period the Royals took their first lead of the series thanks to a power play goal from Igor Martynov (2). Martynov took a feed from Scott Walford in the slot, spun around and fired a forehand shot by Trent Miner.
Shots: 14-6 Vancouver
VAN - At 3:44 of the second period Milos Roman (2) one-timed home his second goal of the playoffs off a wonder cross-ice feed from Bowen Byram. Dylan Plouffe also assisted on Roman's power play goal.
VIC - For a second time in the game, Victoria took a lead at 13:06 when defenceman Mitchell Prowse took the puck the entire length of the ice and ripped a high shot past the glove of Trent Miner. Prowse's unassisted goal came on the first shot of the period for the Royals.
VAN - 14 seconds into the third period Owen Hardy (1) got the Giants back even when he skated down the left-wing, hopped on a Bowen Byram drop-pass and blasted home his first of the playoffs past Griffen Outhouse. Dawson Holt notched the second assist.
VIC - Carson Miller (5) gave the Victoria Royals their third lead of the night at 10:15 right as a Giants penalty had expired. He took a pass beside the Giants net, spun to his forehand and placed a low shot past Trent Miner's stick to make it a 4-3 score for Victoria.
VAN - For a third time the Giants managed to claw their way back. Alex Kannok Leipert answered with an equalizer for the Giants at 15:40 off a shot from the left-wing circle to tie the game 4-4.Kannok Leipert's second goal of the playoffs was assisted by Tristen Nielsen and Davis Koch.
Shots: 14 - 6 Vancouver
VAN - Owen Hardy (2) helped complete the victory for the Vancouver Giants at 13:34 of the first overtime period when his backhand shot from the left side of the Royals goal snuck across the line. Seth Bafaro and Dawson Holt assisted on Hardy's first career overtime winning goal.
Shots: 15-5 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 5 - Victoria 4 (Overtime)
Final Shots: 57-20 Vancouver
Trent Miner: 16/20 saves for Vancouver (4-1)
Griffen Outhouse: 52/57 saves for Victoria (4-2-3)
Vancouver: 1/2 on the Power Play
Victoria: 1/3 on the Power Play
1. Bowen Byram (VAN - 2 assists)
2. Griffen Outhouse (VIC - 52 saves)
3. Owen Hardy (VAN - 2 goals)
- The Vancouver Giants have now won five straight playoff games dating back to Game 5 of Round 1 on March 29, 2019.
- The Vancouver Giants power play has now scored in eight of their nine playoff games so far.
- The trio of Jared Dmytriw (2), Owen Hardy (2) and Dawson Holt (1) have now combined for five of the 10 goals scored by the Giants so far in the series.
- With two assists on Tuesday, Bowen Byram now has three goals and nine assists for 12 points. He sits second in the WHL in playoff scoring behind teammate Davis Koch who has 13 points.
Images from this story
Vancouver Giants right wing Jared Dmytriw scores against the Victoria Royals
(Kevin Light/Jay Wallace)
Vancouver Giants centre Milos Roman shoots against the Victoria Royals
Vancouver Giants goaltender Trent Miner vs. the Victoria Royals
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 10, 2019
- Game 4 Preview - Saskatoon Blades
- Four Ams Alumni Set for 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Tri-City Americans
- Media Release - Hurricanes Sign Ashe - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Eight Alumni to Compete for Stanley Cup - Kelowna Rockets
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Wednesday, April 10 vs. Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Giants Push Royals to the Brink of Elimination After a 5-4 OT Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Shutout Raiders in Game Three - Saskatoon Blades
- Royals Fall to Giants in Overtime in Game 3 - Victoria Royals
- Hitmen on Brink after OT Loss - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Fall in Game 7 Overtime, Raiders Capture the Ed Chynoweth Cup
- Giants Force Game 7 with a 4-2 Win Sunday in Prince Albert
- Giants Stave off Elimination with a 4-3 Win in Game 5 at Home
- Giants Fall 1-0 to Raiders in Game 4, Now Trail the Championship Series 3-1
- Giants Fall 8-2 to the Raiders, Now Trail 2-1 in the Rogers WHL Championship Series