Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Friday, December 7 vs. Swift Current
CALGARY HITMEN (12-14-2-1, 27 pts.) vs. SWIFT CURRENT BRONCOS (5-21-1-1, 12 pts.)
Friday, December 7, 2018 - 7:00 p.m. MT - Scotiabank Saddledome
The Calgary Hitmen play Game 3 of a five-game homestand tonight as they welcome the Swift Current Broncos to the Scotiabank Saddledome. Game time is 7:00 p.m. It's also RE/MAX Chuck-A-Puck where four lucky participants will win a hot air balloon ride courtesy of RE/MAX. The Hitmen enter play winners of their last two and coming off Sunday's 5-1 victory over Moose Jaw. Riley Stotts led the way with a career-high four points, all assists. Kaden Elder and James Malm both scored twice for the Hitmen who snapped the Warriors eight game winning streak. Egor Zamula also lit the lamp for the home side. Rookie goaltender Jack McNaughton made 33 saves, including 17 in the third period to preserve the win. Justin Almeida scored the lone goal for Moose Jaw. Final shots were 34-34. Calgary went 2-5 on the power play while killing three of four shorthanded situations.
BROADCAST INFORMATION Radio: Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Webcast: WHL Live at whl.neulion.com
- Kaden Elder (3g, 3a) and Mark Kastelic (1g, 2a) are both riding three-game point streaks.
- James Malm (2g, 1a) and Egor Zamula (1g, 2a) have points in back-to-back games while goaltender Jack McNaughton has won his last two starts stopping 59 of 63 shots for a .937 save percentage.
NOTEWORTHY VS. SWIFT CURRENT: Tonight is the first of four regular season meetings between the Hitmen and Broncos. Calgary went 1-2-0-1 against the defending WHL Champions last season outscoring them by a combined 13-12. Jake Kryski (1g, 6a) led all Hitmen with seven points in the season series. Jakob Stukel (3g, 1a) was next with four. Aleksi Heponiemi (1g, 6a) was the top performer for the Broncos with seven points. Glenn Gawdin (3g, 3a) was next with six. Calgary is 5-1 in the last five seasons at home to Swift Current. The two teams won't meet again until Wednesday, Jan. 30 in Saskatchewan.
2017-18 SERIES RECAP Nov. 18/17 at SC: SC 2 CGY 1 Shootout...Calgary forced OT with 6:17 remaining. Dec. 8/17 in CGY: CGY 6 SC 1...Jake Kryski led Hitmen with three assists Feb. 27/18 in CGY: SC 6 CGY 4...The Broncos scored twice in the final six minutes to snap a 4-4 tie. Mar. 7/18 at SC: SC 3 CGY 2...Aleksi Heponiemi (1g, 2a) scored the game winner with 17:41 remaining.
INSIDE THE SERIES Shots on Goal: CGY 141 SC 113 Power Plays: CGY 6-22 (27.2%) SC 3-18 (16.7%)
RECENT RUN: Calgary has picked up 13 of a possible 18 points in their last eight games posting a record of 6-2-0-1. Special teams have been a major driver with the power play a combined 10-28 (35.7%) while the penalty kill is 32-36 (88.9%).
BACK WHERE IT ALL BEGAN: Andrew Fyten makes his return to Calgary tonight after spending parts of three seasons with the Hitmen. He was traded to Swift Current on Jan. 9, 2018 in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft. Fyten played 155 career games with the Hitmen.
WHL TOP 15: Mark Kastelic is fifth in the WHL in goals with 22 while his 35 points rank 15th. Josh Prokop is tied for ninth in rookie scoring with 15 points. Egor Zamula is in a three-way tie for 15th in defencemen scoring with 20 points.
TEDDY BEAR TICKETS: Limited seating is still available for The Brick Teddy Bear Toss. Tickets start at $14.99 for adults and $9.99 for students and kids (plus applicable fees and taxes). The Brick has also announced they will donate 25 cents for every bear tossed to the Alberta Children's Hospital Foundation. Fans are encouraged to bring a new small or medium-sized stuffed toy to toss onto the ice when the Hitmen score their first goal on Sunday, Dec. 9 against the visiting Kamloops Blazers. Game time at the 'Dome is 2:00 p.m. with doors opening early at 12:30.
ROSTER MOVES: On Nov. 29, the Hitmen announced goaltender Carl Stankowski will miss six to eight weeks with an ankle injury. As a result they have added Brayden Peters to the roster as an affiliate player. The 16-year-old product of Taber, AB has played AAA Midget with the Lethbridge Hurricanes this season. In 16 games he is 8-2 with a league-leading 1.76 goals against average, two shutouts and .929 save percentage. Peters was selected by Calgary in the fifth round, 95th overall, in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft.
FAST FACTS: The Hitmen are four points behind Medicine Hat for the final Eastern Conference Wildcard spot but with two games in hand. Calgary has taken 154 more shots than they have given up this season and have only been outshot in six of their 29 games....A Hitmen player has scored at least twice in a game 21 times this season although Mark Kastelic's three-goal performance Nov. 17 in Spokane is the only Hitmen hat-trick.
BOUNCING BACK: Since starting the season 0-5-1-0, the Hitmen have gone 12-9-1-1.
DID YOU KNOW?: Hitmen Vladislav Yeryomenko has joined Team Belarus for the 2019 IIHF World U20 Championship. The Division I Group A tournament begins in Germany on Sunday and runs until Dec. 15. This is the third trip to the World Juniors for Yeryomenko which will see Belarus open against Norway. During his previous two tournaments he played a combined 11 games, recording seven points (2g, 5a) while winning gold in 2017.
POST-GAME AUTOGRAPHS: Meet defenceman Egor Zamula after today's game. The Philadelphia Flyers prospect will be signing autographs at the Hitmen Booster Club table located behind section 212.
HOME AND AWAY COMPARISON: The Hitmen are 5-6-2-0 at home while Swift Current is 1-13 on the road.
12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS: All four teams under the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation umbrella are providing special gift ideas from Dec. 1-12. There will be a dozen days of deals for the Hitmen, Flames, Roughnecks and Stampeders. Today's Hitmen offer is 8 ticket vouchers for $99. Vouchers are redeemable for any Hitmen regular season home game played at the Scotiabank Saddledome. All offers are subject to fees and taxes and available while quantities last. Visit www.calgaryflames.com/12days for all the details including the Offer Code.
CORRAL SERIES: The Hitmen will play a trio of games this season at the historic Stampede Corral. Tickets start at $29.25 for adults and $21.75 for kids (plus applicable Ticketmaster fees and taxes). Also available is the three-game pack for $69 (plus applicable Ticketmaster fees and taxes). "The Corral Series" presented by Adrenalin Source for Sports, will see the Hitmen host the Brandon Wheat Kings on Friday, Feb. 1, the Regina Pats on Wednesday, Feb. 6 and the Prince Albert Raiders on Friday, Feb. 8. All are 7:00 p.m. starts in the vintage building that first opened on Dec. 15, 1950 and was the original home of the Calgary Flames from 1980-83. Each game will be dedicated to a former elite team who once called the Corral home by wearing commemorative jerseys of the Calgary Centennials, Calgary Wranglers and Calgary Cowboys. The series features a number of exciting events including an opening night pre-game celebration and beer gardens, a luncheon, merchandise and other activities that will make this a week to remember.
HITMEN GO GREEN: The Calgary Hitmen are participating in an environmental initiative called One Ticket, One Tree. The pilot project will see a tree planted for reforestation projects in the province for each game day and group ticket sold to the One Ticket, One Tree Hitmen game against Edmonton on Mar. 8.
UPCOMING GAMES All times in MT. Schedule subject to change.
DATE OPPONENT TIME BROADCAST
Dec. 9 vs. Kamloops 2:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Dec. 14 vs. Kelowna 7:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Dec. 15 at Edmonton 4:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Dec. 16 vs. Lethbridge 4:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Dec. 28 at Edmonton 7:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Upcoming home game highlights include: - The Brick Teddy Bear Toss on Dec. 9 vs. KAM
- Carols for Christmas on Dec. 14 vs. KEL
- Novice Jamboree and Sunday Funday on Dec. 16 vs. LET
- Soccer Day and Sunday Funday on Dec. 30 vs. VAN
- Airdrie Day on Jan. 1 vs. VIC
- Wizarding Day on Jan. 5 vs. MH - Sunday Funday on Jan. 20 vs. RD - CBE Night on Jan. 25 vs. PG
- Dodge Skate with the Hitmen on Jan. 27 vs. KTN - The Corral Series - Presented by Adrenalin Source for Sports on Feb.1 vs. BDN, Feb. 6 vs. REG and Feb. 8 vs. PA. Tickets on sale starting Nov. 26 - Family Game and Sunday Funday on Feb. 10 vs. MJ
- Lunar Celebration/Calgary Catholic on Feb. 15 vs. MH - TELUS BE BRAVE on Feb. 27 vs. SC - Multicultural Night on Mar. 1 vs. BDN - WHL Suits up with Don Cherry to Promote Organ Donation - Presented by RE/MAX and Sunday Funday on Mar. 3 vs. KTN - One Ticket, One Tree on Mar. 8 vs. EDM - Fan Appreciation on Mar. 17 vs. EDM
CAREER MILESTONE WATCH
- Jake Kryski needs two points for 200 while James Malm is three points shy of 150.
- Layne Toder and Egor Zamula are both two games away from 100.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2018
- Raiders Outlast Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Four-Goal Second Paces Raiders To Win Over Wheaties - Prince Albert Raiders
- Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Jersey Mike's Evergreen Way Returns to AOTW Arena on Saturday, December 15 vs. Seattle at 7:05 p.m. - Everett Silvertips
- ICE Gear Store Now Available Online - Kootenay Ice
- 19 WHL Players Named to Team Alberta for 2019 Canada Winter Games - Saskatoon Blades
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Friday, December 7 vs. Swift Current - Calgary Hitmen
- Blades Return Home for Divisional Duel with Warriors - Saskatoon Blades
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Road Trip in Red Deer Friday - Regina Pats
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Prince George - Game #29 - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.