Bumgarner Beats Beats Beavers with Arm, Bat
PORTLAND, Ore. - Madison Bumgarner tossed five solid innings and helped himself with a home run as the Fresno Grizzlies beat the Portland Beavers 4-2 in front of 4,132 at PGE Park on Sunday.
The top pitching prospect in the Giants organization, Bumgarner (1-1) held Portland to a run on four hits while striking out three. He went deep in the third to provide the Grizzlies (11-7) with their second run.
Brett Pill and Mike McBryde both belted their second home runs on the season to help give the Grizzlies five wins in six tries against Portland in 2010.
Luis Durango collected his second consecutive three-hit game, as well as an RBI and a run, but the Beavers (9-9) managed just three other hits on the day.
Portland starter Josh Geer (0-2) took the loss despite delivering his third straight quality start. Geer pitched six innings and gave up three runs on eight hits, including the three solo home runs.
Pill went yard in the second before Bumgarner, a right-handed hitter, poked his second career homer just inside the right-field foul pole.
The Beavers got one back in the fifth with Durango's RBI single.
Fresno added a run in the sixth on McBryde's second homer in as many days.
Chris Denorfia's team-leading sixth double with two outs in the eighth plated Durango to bring the Beavers within a run, but Fresno got a run with doubles by Joe Borchard and Ryan Rohlinger in the ninth inning for insurance.
Denny Bautista pitched the ninth for his third save, all of which have come against the Beavers.
The Beavers and Grizzlies meet for the third game of their four-game series Monday night at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Bumgarner's first career homer was a grand slam on July 22, 2009, when he was pitching for Class AA Connecticut ... the home run by Bumgarner was the first by a Grizzlies pitcher since former Beaver Kevin Pickford had three during the 2003 season ... Durango has six hits through the first two games of the series ... the Beavers, who began the day with the best opponents batting average in the PCL at .217, allowed double-digit hits for just the second time this season.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 25, 2010
- Aces Win Wild One in 10 Innings, 11-10 over Sky Sox - Reno Aces
- Bumgarner Beats Beats Beavers with Arm, Bat - Portland Beavers
- Rainiers Roughed Up In Loss to Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- RedHawks Shut Out Redbirds, 8-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Nip Zephyrs, 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Win 3-2 over Zephyrs - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Express Take Opener At Iowa 5-1 - Round Rock Express
- Chacin, Express Shut Down I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Blanked By Sky Sox, 10-0 - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Roll In Win Over Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss