Bucs Propelled by Early Offense
Four first period goals by the Des Moines Buccaneers proved insurmountable for the Waterloo Black Hawks in a 6-1 Saturday tilt at Buccaneer Arena.
Des Moines scored in the early minutes of each period, beginning when Davis Burnside tipped a shot from Scout Truman for the opening goal at 3:00. That line was back on the ice when Tiernan Shoudy converted a turnover in the neutral zone into a second goal at 5:44.
The Bucs made it 3-0 at 12:30 of the first period when Anthony Menghini dodged a pokecheck to slip in his chance. Just 1:34 later, Shoudy scored his second of the night, swatting in a bouncing puck which came his way just outside the crease.
Killian Kiecker-Olson built the lead 2:27 into the second period coming through the right circle to score on a one-on-one chance against goalie Emmett Croteau.
Hawks defenseman Adam Cardona produced his first USHL goal later in the period. Following a faceoff win at 14:15, Cardona sent the puck through traffic and past Remington Keopple, who never got a good look at the attempt.
The Buccaneers added one more goal in the opening stages of the third period, when Joshua Barnes rifled a transition opportunity under the crossbar at 3:26.
Waterloo outshot Des Moines in both the second and third periods and by a final count of 25-17; Keopple made 24 saves for the win.
The Hawks play one more on the road before returning to Young Arena. Waterloo's next game is Friday, October 15th when they visit the Omaha Lancers.
Waterloo 0 1 0 - 1
Des Moines 4 1 1 - 6
1st Period-1, Des Moines, Burnside 2 (Truman), 3:00. 2, Des Moines, Shoudy 3 5:44. 3, Des Moines, Menghini 1 (DeStefani, Fredericks), 12:30. 4, Des Moines, Shoudy 4 (Truman, Bevilacqua), 14:04. Penalties-Pascucci Dm (head contact), 5:52.
2nd Period-5, Des Moines, Kiecker-Olson 3 (Stenberg, Kuzma), 2:27. 6, Waterloo, Cardona 1 (McCormick), 14:15. Penalties-LaStarza Wat (slashing), 9:44; Burnside Dm (tripping), 12:09; McCormick Wat (major-fighting, misconduct-fighting), 14:22; Pascucci Dm (major-fighting, misconduct-fighting), 14:22; Dorrington Dm (tripping), 19:45.
3rd Period-7, Des Moines, Barnes 1 (Salice), 3:26. Penalties-Reiners Wat (holding), 17:36.
Shots on Goal-Waterloo 4-13-8-25. Des Moines 7-7-3-17.
Power Play Opportunities-Waterloo 0 / 3; Des Moines 0 / 2.
Goalies-Waterloo, Croteau 0-2-0-0 (8 shots-3 saves); Williams 2-1-0-0 (9 shots-8 saves). Des Moines, Keopple 4-0-0-0 (25 shots-24 saves).
Referees-Riley Yerkovich, Default USHL.
Linesmen-Michael Ifkovits, Pete Jenkin.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2021
- Gamblers Bounce Back with a 6-3 Victory - Green Bay Gamblers
- Fighting Saints' Rally Ends in Shootout Loss to Gamblers on Opening NIght - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Drop Three in a Row with Loss to Tri-City - Omaha Lancers
- Muskegon Outmatched in 8-3 Loss to USNTDP U18 - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stampede Come up Just Short in Home Opener - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Bucs Propelled by Early Offense - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Storm Look to Continue Hot Start against Lancers - Tri-City Storm
- Luke Johnson Scores Twice In Lincoln's 6-1 Win - Lincoln Stars
- Capitols Rout Phantoms 5-1 in Series Opener - Madison Capitols
- Storm Win Home Opener 6-2 - Tri-City Storm
- Steel Topple Team USA 6-2 - Chicago Steel
- Sizzling Storm PP Costs Hawks - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.