Steel Topple Team USA 6-2
GENEVA, ILLINOIS - The Chicago Steel (4-0-1-0; 9 pts.) continued their strong play early in the season, defeating Team USA U17 (1-3-1-0; 3 pts.) 6-2 Friday night at Fox Valley Ice Arena behind a four-point night from Sam Lipkin (4A) and a three-point performance from Jackson Blake (2G, 1A).
Steel goaltender Gibson Homer improved his record to 2-0-1-0 between the Steel pipes with a 21 save performance.
Andon Cerbone and Anthony Dowd each picked up a goal and an assist while Michael Emerson and Joe Miller reached the back of the net for Chicago.
Arizona Coyotes draft pick Sam Lipkin notched the first of his four assists on the evening, finding Steel forward Andon Cerbone for his first goal of the season and the first goal of the game. Cerbone hammered home a one-timer from the right side of the offensive zone on the power play, just under five minutes in the opening frame.
The Steel struck again just past the halfway mark of the first period when defenseman Anthony Dowd scored a highlight-reel goal, breaking through the neutral zone and two USA defenders to give Chicago a 2-0 lead.
Early in the middle frame, Joe Miller gave the Steel a 3-0 advantage scoring shorthanded for his first goal of the season and the second for the Steel on the penalty kill through the first five games.
Homer made the save of the night with seven minutes left in the middle frame, sticking his right pad across the crease to stop a cross-ice pass from Team USA, keeping the scoreboard clean for the moment.
Just over halfway through the second period, Michael Emerson notched his first career USHL goal and forward Mick Thompson registered his first USHL assist to give the Steel a commanding 4-0 lead through two periods.
Dowd's impressive night continued early in the third period when he dangled through Team USA off an offensive zone faceoff win and found Carolina Hurricanes prospect Jackson Blake in front of the net for his first of two goals.
Moments later, Blake found the back of the net again, jamming home a one-time pass from Lipkin to give the Steel a commanding 6-0 lead.
Team USA ruined Homer's shutout bit when forward Oliver Moore scored with 6:26 remaining in regulation. Moore would add an assist on Ryan Leonard's goal late in the third period for Team USA.
The Steel and Team USA U17 rematch with a 7:05 puck drop at Fox Valley Ice Arena on Saturday night. The first 500 fans in attendance will receive a Chicago Steel magnetic schedule.
For more information, call 855-51-STEEL or visit ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com.
Steel games can be heard on Mixlr at http://mixlr.com/chicago-steel/ (AUDIO) and video may be streamed on available devices through HockeyTV at www.hockeytv.com (VIDEO).
Chicago Steel Upcoming Home Games presented by Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush:
Saturday, October 9 vs. Team USA U17 (7:05 pm CT) GIVEAWAY - 2021-2022 Magnet Schedule (first 500 fans)
Saturday, October 23 vs. Dubuque Fighting Saints (7:05 pm CT) 19 Promotions We Missed in 2020 | Family Pack Game
Friday, November 5 vs. Green Bay Gamblers (7:05 pm CT) Hockey Is For Everyone
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2021
- Gamblers Bounce Back with a 6-3 Victory - Green Bay Gamblers
- Fighting Saints' Rally Ends in Shootout Loss to Gamblers on Opening NIght - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Drop Three in a Row with Loss to Tri-City - Omaha Lancers
- Muskegon Outmatched in 8-3 Loss to USNTDP U18 - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stampede Come up Just Short in Home Opener - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Bucs Propelled by Early Offense - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Storm Look to Continue Hot Start against Lancers - Tri-City Storm
- Luke Johnson Scores Twice In Lincoln's 6-1 Win - Lincoln Stars
- Capitols Rout Phantoms 5-1 in Series Opener - Madison Capitols
- Storm Win Home Opener 6-2 - Tri-City Storm
- Steel Topple Team USA 6-2 - Chicago Steel
- Sizzling Storm PP Costs Hawks - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Steel Stories
- Steel Fall 3-1 against Youngstown
- Friday, January 14 Game Rescheduled for Thursday, March 24
- Five Steel Alumni Selected for USA Men's Olympic Hockey Team
- NHL Central Scouting Includes Three Steel Skaters on 2022 NHL Draft Watch List
- Friday, January 14 Game Declared a No Contest