Bruins Pummel Blizzard, 5-2
AUSTIN, Minn. - Peter Jacobs scored two third period goals while Dante Sheriff netted a goal and two assists as the Bruins took down the Blizzard, 5-2, on Saturday Night.
After falling on Friday night at home to the Blizzard, the Bruins were looking to repay the favor but much like the night before, it was St. Cloud who stuck first. For the second time in as many nights, Brady Bjork opened the games scoring for the Blizzard giving the home-team a 1-0 lead late in the first. Later in the period, however, the Bruins retaliated evening the game with less than 30 seconds to go in the frame when Hugh Quinn netted his first goal as a Bruin when he was left wide open back-door and fired it home.
In the second period, the Bruins took the lead and never looked back. Dante Sheriff put the Bruins up 2-1 when he walked into the zone and was able to keep possession through a couple of checks and fire off a sharp angle shot that fooled Tyler Bost.
Neither team was able to add to their goal totals for the rest of the middle period, but that all changed in the third. The Bruins went up 3-1 when Hugh Larkin found daylight behind Bost and put home a wrist shot. Already in control, the Bruins continued to pile on. While rolling on the power-play, Sheriff's perfect feed to Jacobs was a thing of beauty and the Bruins went up by three, 4-1. Jacobs would add another goal later in the third period to make it 5-1 Austin, and despite the Blizzard getting a last-minute goal to pull within three at 5-2, the Bruins were able to hold on and earn the victory and the two points.
With the win, the Bruins improve to 13-9-2-2 while the Blizzard fall to 7-14-3-1. The Bruins are back at home at Riverside Arena on Friday and Saturday, December 13 and 14. On Friday, it's Teddy Bear Toss Night where fans will be invited to throw stuffed animals on the ice following the Bruins first goal of the game. Then on Saturday, it Austin Youth Hockey Night. Tickets go on sale Monday, 12/9 at all the Bruins vendors including Games People Play, Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, and Jim's Marketplace.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Ice Wolves Lose to Mudbugs, 3-1 - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Persson, Brahmas Shut out IceRays Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bulls Offense Blows by Jackalopes in 9-2 Victory - Amarillo Bulls
- Bruins Pummel Blizzard, 5-2 - Austin Bruins
- Jamestown Edges out Maryland for Series Sweep - Maryland Black Bears
- Tomahawks Fall to Titans, 4-2 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Pilots Ride Balanced Offensive Effort to 5-3 Victory over Jr. Blues - Topeka Pilots
- Wings Win Friday - Aberdeen Wings
- Two Second Period Goals Doom Titans in 4-1 Loss to Tomahawks - New Jersey Titans
- Brown Bears Snap Losing Skid, Ground Jets - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Jackalopes Fall 7-2 to Amarillo at Ector County Coliseum - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bruins Stories
- Three Bruins Honored with Divisional Awards; Sheriff Named MVP, Mysak Named Defenseman of the Year
- Bruins Forward Tiernan Shoudy Awarded Two Rookie Honors
- NAHL Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- NAHL Pauses Regular Season Games Due to COVID-19
- Bruins Sweep Steel, Showdown against Minot with Playoff Implications Upcoming