Tomahawks Fall to Titans, 4-2
JOHNSTOWN, Penn. - The Johnstown Tomahawks fell to the New Jersey Titans, 4-2, in a hotly contested East Division match-up.
The Titans opened the scoring this time, with Cade Penney giving New Jersey the 1-0 lead a little less than six minutes into the game. Johnstown had plenty of chances to tie the game, but Titans goalie, Patrick Pugliese, made several quality saves to keep the Tomahawks off the scoreboard.
For most of the 2nd period, Pugliese continued to shut the door and keep New Jersey in the lead. However, Tomahawks goalie, Alex Tracy, did the same to keep his team within striking distance. Johnstown's effort would finally pay off with less than two minutes remaining in the period, with Carson Gallagher scoring his team-leading 14th goal of the year to tie things up at one. This allowed the fans to rain down 1001 teddy bears and stuffed animals onto the ice for the Teddy Bear Toss.
New Jersey regained the lead early in the 3rd period, with Matthew Iasenza scoring on a breakaway for the 2-1 lead. The Tomahawks struck back to tie the game at two, thanks to Pavel Kharin's fifth goal of the season. Over four minutes later, however, the Titans would retake the lead for good on Kyle Jeffers' goal. Mitch Machlitt would score an empty net goal to seal the deal for New Jersey.
With the loss, Johnstown remains in second place in the East division with 38 points. New Jersey stays in first place with 41 points.
1st Period Recap
5:57 New Jersey goal scored by Cade Penney, assisted by Nick DeSantis.
2nd Period Recap
18:42 Johnstown goal scored by Carson Gallagher, assisted by Malik Alishlalov and Bennett Stockdale.
3rd Period Recap
1:46 New Jersey goal scored by Matthew Iasenza, assisted by Danny Dimon and Kyler Head.
11:05 Johnstown goal scored by Pavel Kharin, unassisted.
15:49 New Jersey goal scored by Kyle Jeffers, assisted by Chris Garbe and Danny Dimon.
19:27 New Jersey empty net goal scored by Mitch Machlitt, assisted by Cam Gendron.
Final Shots on Goal count: Johnstown Tomahawks (37) | New Jersey Titans (28)
Three Stars of the Game:
Kyle Jeffers, New Jersey
Carson Gallagher, Johnstown
Pavel Kharin, Johnstown
The Tomahawks will travel to Middletown Township, New Jersey next weekend to take on the New Jersey Titans on December 13th and 14th. They then return home on Wednesday, December 18th to face the Jamestown Rebels, on a "kids eat free" night.
After that, the Tomahawks will be back at home December 30th and 31st against the Maine Nordiques. Monday night will be our Holiday Music Fest, featuring local bands playing all of your favorite holiday hits. Then, on Tuesday night, join us as we ring in the New Year as a part of our New Year's Eve Celebration.
Tickets are available in-person at the 1ST SUMMIT ARENA Box Office and online at www.1stSummitArena.com/go/Tomahawks.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Ice Wolves Lose to Mudbugs, 3-1 - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Persson, Brahmas Shut out IceRays Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bulls Offense Blows by Jackalopes in 9-2 Victory - Amarillo Bulls
- Bruins Pummel Blizzard, 5-2 - Austin Bruins
- Jamestown Edges out Maryland for Series Sweep - Maryland Black Bears
- Tomahawks Fall to Titans, 4-2 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Pilots Ride Balanced Offensive Effort to 5-3 Victory over Jr. Blues - Topeka Pilots
- Wings Win Friday - Aberdeen Wings
- Two Second Period Goals Doom Titans in 4-1 Loss to Tomahawks - New Jersey Titans
- Brown Bears Snap Losing Skid, Ground Jets - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Jackalopes Fall 7-2 to Amarillo at Ector County Coliseum - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.