Jamestown Edges out Maryland for Series Sweep
ODENTON, MD - It was the Second Military Appreciation Night at the Piney Orchard Ice Arena and the Maryland Black Bears looked to send fans home happy with a win. The Jamestown Rebels had other ideas, edging out the Black Bears with another 3-1 win to take the series sweep.
The Rebels struck quickly into the game to make it 1-0. Team captain Eric Olsen took advantage of a neutral zone turn over and cut through two Black Bear players. Olsen then darted toward the net and shot the puck to the top right corner to give Jamestown the lead.
The score remained 1-0 Rebels until late in the second period where the Black Bears tied the game. New defenseman for Maryland Mikhail Gonchar pinched in from the point and received the puck in the slot from Luke Mountain. Gonchar then shot the puck low to the left for his first goal as a Black Bear; however, 46 seconds later Jamestown retook the lead with a rebound goal from Eric Olsen to make it 2-1.
Rebels defenseman Spencer Cosway tallied the final goal of the game to make it 3-1 midway through the third. Cosway got the puck at the point took a shot high left side of the net for the goal to secure a Jamestown win. Rebels' goalie Noah West made 34 saves for the win for his sixth win of the season, while Black Bears' goalie Cooper Black made 29 saves in the loss.
Maryland will go on the road next weekend to play the Maine Nordiques for the first time in franchise history. It will be a three-game series from December 13th through the 15th. The Black Bears return to Piney Orchard Ice Arena on December 20th to play the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights.
The Maryland Black Bears is a Junior Hockey Team that competes in the North American Hockey League (NAHL). Our players, 16-20 years old, are vying for NCAA DI/III Scholarships. The Black Bears are the hometown hockey team of Central Maryland and play out of the Piney Orchard Ice Arena. The Maryland Black Bears play for more than just wins!
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Ice Wolves Lose to Mudbugs, 3-1 - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Persson, Brahmas Shut out IceRays Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bulls Offense Blows by Jackalopes in 9-2 Victory - Amarillo Bulls
- Bruins Pummel Blizzard, 5-2 - Austin Bruins
- Jamestown Edges out Maryland for Series Sweep - Maryland Black Bears
- Tomahawks Fall to Titans, 4-2 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Pilots Ride Balanced Offensive Effort to 5-3 Victory over Jr. Blues - Topeka Pilots
- Wings Win Friday - Aberdeen Wings
- Two Second Period Goals Doom Titans in 4-1 Loss to Tomahawks - New Jersey Titans
- Brown Bears Snap Losing Skid, Ground Jets - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Jackalopes Fall 7-2 to Amarillo at Ector County Coliseum - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.