Bruins Mute Minotauros at Riverside Arena, 2-1
AUSTIN, Minn. - The Bruins got a two-point night from forward Ben Almquist and outlasted the Minotauros 2-1, ending Minot's five-game win streak and giving Austin sole possession of second place in the NAHL Central Division.
Out of the gate the Bruins controlled the pace of play, not allowing a Minot shot on goal until well after eight minutes of play. Their relentless offensive pressure came to fruition when one of the newest Bruins, Ben Almquist, found the back of the net to give the Bruins the lead 1-0 in the first. Neither team would get on the board in the first and Autin outshot Minot 16-4 in the opening frame.
In the second, Minot settled down and controlled an equal amount of the ice. The 'Tauros would tie things up halfway through the middle frame when a loose puck was poked through the legs of Kyle McClellan who was recovering from making an initial save. Cole O'Connell was credited with the goal, his fourth of the season, and made thing 1-1.
In the third, Austin resumed their first-period form and got the lead back. Hugh Larkin took a pass from Almquist and squeaked the puck through a maze of bodies and past Minot goalie Nicholas Grabko for the 2-1 Austin lead.
The Bruins found of Minot's late extra-attacker attempt and held on for the victory, 2-1. Austin managed to kill all five penalties they took on the night going 5-for-5 on the PK while Minot was also successful on both of their penalty kill chances. Kyle McClellan made 15 saves on 16 shots while earning the win, with Nicholas Grabko stopped 34 of 36 Bruins attempts earning the loss.
With the win, the Bruins move to 24-14-0-6 on the season, good enough for sole possession of second place in the NAHL Central Division. Minot's loss puts them to 26-18-1-0 on the year as they slide to third place.
The two teams will meet for an encore at Riverside Arena on Saturday, the final meeting between the two clubs during this regular season. Tickets for Saturday night's game are on sale NOW at all the Bruins vendors including Games People Play, Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, and Jim's Marketplace.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2019
- Bulls Overtake Bugs - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Comeback Effort Falls Short, Pilots Drop Contest to Brahmas 5-3 - Topeka Pilots
- IceRays Beat Jackalopes 5-1 Friday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Jackalopes Fall 5-1 in Corpus Christi - Odessa Jackalopes
- Knights Steal Extra Point in Overtime Win - Maryland Black Bears
- Bruins Mute Minotauros at Riverside Arena, 2-1 - Austin Bruins
- Steel Fall to Brown Bears - Chippewa Steel
- Toale Nets Winner in OT as Hawks Bounce Rebels 7-6 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Gabriel Seger Commits to Union College - Amarillo Bulls
- Goaltender Eisele Commits to Lake Superior State - Lone Star Brahmas
- Jake LaRusso Signs Tender Agreement with Titans - New Jersey Junior Titans
- Wings Fall Thursday 3-2 - Aberdeen Wings
- Bear Battle - Minot Minotauros
- Bulls Visit Mudbugs for Final Time During Regular Season - Amarillo Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bruins Stories
- Bruins with 5 More Regular Season Games - Jockeying for Position in Playoffs
- Comeback Misses the Mark, Bruins Doubled up by Bobcats 4-2
- Third Period Slip-Up Dooms Bruins, Fall 3-2 to Bobcats
- Bruins Extend Head Coach/General Manager Steve Howard
- Sheriff Nets Divisional Honor