Knights Steal Extra Point in Overtime Win
Odenton, MD - The NAHL season is in its final months, and the Maryland Black Bears looked to get some important points as they hosted the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights. It was a close contest, but the Knights were able to improve 5-0 against Maryland with a 3-2 overtime win.
The scoring started in the first period with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton defender Evan Orr blasting a slap shot past Black Bears' goalie David Tomeo on the power play to make it 1-0. Maryland responded in the second period, with forward Daylon Mannon getting his team leading 14th goal of the season. Black Bears' defender Luc Salem forced a turnover behind the net, and Knights' goalie Zach Stejskal was looking the other way when Mannon received the puck and tucked it in to make it 1-1.
Bobby Batten gave Maryland the lead early in the third period when he put home a rebound from Luc Salem's shot to make it 2-1. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton tied it late in the third on a Sasha Guillemain goal with under five minutes to go. The puck was turned over along the boards and Guillemain wrapped it in past a sprawled out Tomeo. The game remained tied and headed to overtime.
Gabe Temple played overtime hero for the Knights. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton captain Shay Donovan got the puck along the boards and passed it in front to Gabe Temple, who was untouched in front of the goal. Temple put the puck top right side over David Tomeo to win the game 3-2.
This was game one of a ten game homestand for the Black Bears. Maryland will get another chance for its first franchise win over the Knights at 7:45 PM ET on Saturday, February 16th at Piney Orchard Ice Arena.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2019
- Bulls Overtake Bugs - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Comeback Effort Falls Short, Pilots Drop Contest to Brahmas 5-3 - Topeka Pilots
- IceRays Beat Jackalopes 5-1 Friday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Jackalopes Fall 5-1 in Corpus Christi - Odessa Jackalopes
- Knights Steal Extra Point in Overtime Win - Maryland Black Bears
- Bruins Mute Minotauros at Riverside Arena, 2-1 - Austin Bruins
- Steel Fall to Brown Bears - Chippewa Steel
- Toale Nets Winner in OT as Hawks Bounce Rebels 7-6 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Gabriel Seger Commits to Union College - Amarillo Bulls
- Goaltender Eisele Commits to Lake Superior State - Lone Star Brahmas
- Jake LaRusso Signs Tender Agreement with Titans - New Jersey Junior Titans
- Wings Fall Thursday 3-2 - Aberdeen Wings
- Bear Battle - Minot Minotauros
- Bulls Visit Mudbugs for Final Time During Regular Season - Amarillo Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maryland Black Bears Stories
- Maryland Native Goalie, Andrew Takacs Secures First NAHL Victory
- Maryland Climbs to Win off Mountain's OT Winner
- Special Teams Lead New Jersey to Win over Maryland
- Nelson Hockey Partners with the Maryland Black Bears' NAHL Franchise
- Black Bears Beat Generals in Thrilling Contest