Bruins Earn Fourth and Fifth Straight Wins with Road Sweep of Brookings
BROOKINGS, South Dakota - The Bruins won back-to-back games on the road over the Brookings Blizzard by identical 4-1 scores to extend their winning streak to five straight games.
On Friday night, the black-and-gold surrendered the lead in the first period but would add four unanswered goals to complete the win. Dante Sheriff got things started with a late first-period goal, his fifth straight game with a tally, evening the score at 1-1. Andy Wills knocked in the second goal of the night in the second period while Joe Winkelmann and Jed Pietila added the final goals in the third. For Winkelmann, it was his third goal in two games going back to the Minot series last weekend. Kyle McClellan stood tall for the Bruins, only allowing the one goal and lowering his season goals against average to 1.55.
On Saturday, the Bruins made sure not to surrender the first goal and once again added a last-minute goal in the first period. This time it was Garrett Dahm netting his sixth of the season. The normally staunch penalty-kill unit for the Bruins cracked later in the second allowing Brookings to tie the game at one goal apiece. After that, it was all Bruins. Garrett Dahm scored his second goal of the night shorthanded, the team's first shorthanded goal of the season, Richard Szabo netted his first goal in the NAHL in just his second game since being loaned to the Bruins by the Rochester Grizzlies of the NA3HL, and Josef Mysak put the icing on the cake with a third period power-play goal.
McClellan earned the win on Saturday night as well, once again only allowing a single goal. The St. Louis, MO, native turned aside 20 of 21 Brookings shots on the night for his tenth win of the season.
The Bruins are back on the road next weekend for a pair of games against Bismarck. After the Christmas holiday break, the Bruins will open on the road in Cloquet on December 28, and finally return to Riverside Arena on December 29. Tickets go on sale at all the Bruins ticket-vendors including Games People Play, Hy-Vee-, Holiday Inn, and Jim's Marketplace, before the Christmas holiday.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2018
- Steel Suffer Loss to Ice Dogs - Chippewa Steel
- Bugs Lose Fourth in a Row - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bruins Earn Fourth and Fifth Straight Wins with Road Sweep of Brookings - Austin Bruins
- Postula Nets Two, Knights Win Penalty-Filled Affair - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Black Bears Run out of Time on Third Period Comeback Push - Maryland Black Bears
- Tomahawks Clip Rebels 3-2 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Player Profile: Ethan Haider - Minnesota Magicians
- Player Profile: Jack Robbel - Minnesota Magicians
- Quick Hits: NAHL Game 27 Preview - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Steel Get Ready to Take on Ice Dogs - Chippewa Steel
- Vernon, Sladic Lift Wings through Wilderness - Aberdeen Wings
- Bulls Blank Brahmas 1-0 - Amarillo Bulls
- IceRays Dominate Jackalopes 8-2 Friday - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bruins Stories
- Team Black Tops Team Gold in 2019-20 Austin Bruins All-Star Game
- Austin Bruins 2019-2020 Schedule Swt
- Former Bruins Goalie Sogaard Selected by Ottawa Senators in Second Round NHL Entry Draft
- Christy to Play College Hockey at University of New England
- Bruins Select Four in NAHL Draft