Boomers Tally Fifth Walk-Off Victory
SCHAUMBURG, IL - The defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, scored a second consecutive one-run victory over the team with the best record in the league, walking off with a 5-4 victory over the Washington Wild Things before the largest crowd of the season.
Sean Godfrey recorded his second walk-off hit of the year, floating a 2-2 pitch into left to score Josh Gardiner with the game-winner. The run was the first of the year allowed by Washington closer Zach Strecker in a league high 21 appearances. Schaumburg held the lead for most of the game, providing support for rookie starter Keaton Conner.
Collin Ferguson doubled home the first run with two outs in the third. Washington evened the game in the fifth before Dylan Jones roped his first career homer, a two-run shot, in the last of the sixth to make the score 3-1. Washington scored in each of the final three innings to tie the contest, but the Boomers had a counter each time. Ty Moore homered in the seventh, pushing the margin to 4-2 before the late heroics.
Conner, signed before the game out of NCAA Division III power Concordia University Chicago to make his first professional start, allowed one run in six innings, walking two and striking out four in a no-decision. James Mulry earned the win in relief, entering after the Wild Things tied the game against closer Jake Joyce. Moore and Godfrey each picked up two hits in the win. Schaumburg connected on multiple homers for the first time in a game this season.
The Boomers (20-17) wrap up the series on Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. Sunday's affair is a Family Day and also Bark in the Park at Boomers Stadium. Schaumburg has not announced a starter while Washington (23-15) will place RHP Chase Cunningham (1-2, 5.48) on the hill. Make the Boomers part of your plans this summer by calling (847) 461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 23, 2018
- Gateway Drops Middle Game to Normal - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Lose Heartbreaker in Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Three-Run Eighth Inning Sends Otters Past Miners - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Fall to Freedom in Game 2 - River City Rascals
- : Pitching Powers Freedom to Middle Game Victory - Florence Freedom
- Windy City Hits Walk-Off To Beat Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Wild Things Drop Middle Game, Boomers Walk It Off - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Walk-Off on Beck's Home Run - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Tally Fifth Walk-Off Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Shutout by Joliet - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Slammers Even Series vs Traverse City Saturday Night - Joliet Slammers
- Wild Things Add Infielder, Former 9th Round Pick Jordan Edgerton - Washington Wild Things
- Lowery's Late Heroics Lead Beach Bums to Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.