Boomers Blanked by Joliet in Near No-Hitter
SCHAUMBURG, IL - The defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, managed just one hit in a 9-0 loss at the hands of the Joliet Slammers on Saturday night.
Schaumburg created opportunities against Joliet starter Corey Kimber but could not notch a hit despite drawing seven walks and having runners on base in five of the six innings against the righty. Kimber departed with a 2-0 lead having not allowed a hit after six innings when Joliet scored two unearned runs in the top of the sixth. Reliever Nate Antone retired the first two batters of the sixth before Tyler Wolfe fired a grounder up the middle that Joliet shortstop Chaz Meadows made a diving, spinning attempt on but Wolfe reached for the lone hit of the game.
Payton Lobdell suffered the loss despite working six innings on the mound. Lobdell struck out five and allowed eight hits. Zack Weigel drew a pair of walks, extending his on-base streak to 31 games, a new Schaumburg record. The streak is the second-longest active streak in the league and the third longest of the season in the league. Schaumburg has been involved in four straight shutouts and have been blanked 10 times this season.
The Boomers (38-39) continue to battle in a crowded playoff race in the Frontier League in the final three weeks of the year. Schaumburg continues a nine-game homestand tomorrow night with the final game against Joliet at 1:00 p.m. RHP Chris Powell (0-3, 2.84) starts for the Boomers opposite RHP Scot Hoffman (7-4, 3.65). Make the Boomers part of your plans this summer before it is gone by calling (847) 461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Early Hole Too Much for Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Snap Losing Streak with Win over CornBelters - River City Rascals
- Hensley and Chavarria Toss Combined No-Hitter to Help Otters Split Doubleheader with Freedom - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Blanked by Joliet in Near No-Hitter - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Win Both Ends of Doubleheader - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Lose Doubleheader in Washington - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers Halt Home Skid - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Drop Pitchers Duel to Crushers - Traverse City Beach Bums
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Schaumburg Boomers Stories
- Lake Erie Pitches Past Boomers
- Boomers Steal Late Victory
- Late Rally Sends Boomers to a Split
- Rain Forces Suspension Between Boomers and ThunderBolts
- Boomers Hold off Windy City