Early Hole Too Much for Grizzlies
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies fell behind 8-0 in the fourth inning Saturday night and lost, 10-6, to the Southern Illinois Miners at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (33-46) lost its fifth straight game.
Taso Stathopoulos (1-5) allowed seven runs over 2 2/3 innings and took the loss.
Kevin Simmons, Colton Freeman and Grant Black combined for 3 2/3 scoreless innings out of the Grizzlies' bullpen.
Southern Illinois (38-36) clinched the series and has won all five games against the Grizzlies this season.
Brent Sakurai was 2-for-3 with two walks and has four hits in seven at-bats in the series.
Shane Mardirosian, Blake Brown, Trae Santos, Audie Afenir and Cody Livesay all had two-hit games of their own. Brown doubled twice; Santos and Ellison each doubled once. Mardirosian drove in two runs with a triple. Gateway out-hit Southern Illinois, 14-13.
Gateway and Southern Illinois will finish their three-game series Sunday at 6:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Early Hole Too Much for Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Snap Losing Streak with Win over CornBelters - River City Rascals
- Hensley and Chavarria Toss Combined No-Hitter to Help Otters Split Doubleheader with Freedom - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Blanked by Joliet in Near No-Hitter - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Win Both Ends of Doubleheader - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Lose Doubleheader in Washington - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers Halt Home Skid - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Drop Pitchers Duel to Crushers - Traverse City Beach Bums
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.